World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my fist sea fishing trip with braid, do I just leave it wound on the reel or is it better for me to wash it and drape it round the garden to dry and then re-wind onto the reel? Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
jeepers, I hope you dont have to do all that, I never do.

·
Registered
477 Posts
just leave it as is. If you are an angler that really has to do some aftercare a quick rinse under cold running water and your good to go.

The stuff is pretty indestructible.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I've got three 8 foot monofilament snoods hanging between the apple tress to get the kinks out as I type! Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Just wash your reel down in cold water and leave it to dry Tony, it won't rot on you.

If you want the kinks out of your leader, straighten it out buy hand and then give it a good stretch, that should do the trick. If its bad just tie on another.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I think if you were to stretch it round the garden you would almost guarantee getting the line tangled and full of knots!!

Just wash the spool under cold water for a minute or so and dry the whole thing naturally in an airing cupboard or similar.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you can use lukewarm water to rinse the reel spool if you like (helps dissolve out any salt) but don't use hot water as that can make grease / oil in the reel thin and run where you don't want it (e.g. onto drag washers)

Americans actually have a "Swifty" (make) line washer for spectra - but that's really only for use about once a year when they take it all off the reel to check there has been no corrosion of the spool in places that usually stay buried out of sight under line.
And even then it is not really necessary to wash it (unless maybe it has been collecting a coating of "rubby dubby") - it doesn't rot , it's only enemies are abrasion and (fairly high) heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts