World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size braid should i purchase if im not going to use shock leader when casting 5oz- 6oz

cheers

stu

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
it depends on the rod you,ll be using and the casdting style. some use braid up to 80lb for sea fishing because of its small diameter.

be careful when getting snagged though with such strong lines as it will give serious cuts. carry a short piece of brush shaft to wrap the line around when going for a pull free.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it depends on the rod you,ll be using and the casdting style. some use braid up to 80lb for sea fishing because of its small diameter.

be careful when getting snagged though with such strong lines as it will give serious cuts. carry a short piece of brush shaft to wrap the line around when going for a pull free.

hi bill im using a greys orion and just using over head cast!!!
cheers mate

stu

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You should be ok with something like 40lb leaving a good safety margin providing you don't cast more than about 100yds. I would also suggest you use some tube scales to test your knots and your line. Braid is another world in comparison with other types of line.
You may also find that you will need a shock leader to get the line to shoot correctly at the start of the cast. I've tried 40lb straight through and found that it can loop of a fixed spool reel and finish up behind the handle - not good. I've also had an 80lb braid shock leader to mono do the same. The problem is that the bale arm folds over on the wrong side for right handers.

If you are going to fish like that do test the set up with scales. You may find that the line doesn't give anything like it's stated braking strain.

Hi All - I'm back but off fishing for 2 weeks tomorrow.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts