World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently use 20lb whiplash crystal straight through and was wondering what would be the best lb breaking strain of fluorocarbon to team up with it for the leader and what length.
Also I am going to buy some 30lb whiplash for the rougher ground I fish and was wondering what breaking strain fluorocarbon to team up with this. The set up is for use with top water and shallow diving plugs for bass
I would like to here everyones veiws and opinions any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,979 Posts
I currently use 20lb whiplash crystal straight through and was wondering what would be the best lb breaking strain of fluorocarbon to team up with it for the leader and what length.
Also I am going to buy some 30lb whiplash for the rougher ground I fish and was wondering what breaking strain fluorocarbon to team up with this. The set up is for use with top water and shallow diving plugs for bass
I would like to here everyones veiws and opinions any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Like Joe says 2 foot is about the normal.
If you dont mind me asking,,,Why 'Whiplash' braid ?
I tried this stuff yonks ago and found it "unusable" on a fixed spool reel.
With PowerPro or even 'Fireline' there were no problems at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
He uses Whiplash cos he thinks he needs to outcast me and its got the "edge" being white lol:bleh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Joe says 2 foot is about the normal.
If you dont mind me asking,,,Why 'Whiplash' braid ?
I tried this stuff yonks ago and found it "unusable" on a fixed spool reel.
With PowerPro or even 'Fireline' there were no problems at all.
Its the only braid ive used and ive had no problems with it. I do like the fact that it is so thin compared to other braids. I do have a spare spool loaded with 20lb fireline but have never used it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use 35lb fireline & have no probelms casting with it, however it gets ripped to bits in shingle or across the rocks. For leader I use 20' 35lb copolymer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can it have much impact using a 30lb fluorocarbon leader opposed to using a thinner 15lb leader. If it starts getting too thick can it have an effect on bites.
Thanks

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,979 Posts
Can it have much impact using a 30lb fluorocarbon leader opposed to using a thinner 15lb leader. If it starts getting too thick can it have an effect on bites.
Thanks
PowerPro is wonderful stuff and I cant reccomend it any higher.
The thing is Tiddler when you spool up with some braids you have to be carefull and always be aware in the back of your mind that you may have a problem etc,with PP or Fireline you can forget that its braid (fused with fireline) and just use it as you would do normal mono.
You wont find that using a flouro or mono leader in 30lbs affects the amount of hits that you get at all.
Like Liam said in his post Seaguar in the 30lbs diameter is as good and as 'pure' as propper fluro goes.
I have it in 19.5lbs as well but only really use it in the 30 size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts