World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody tried braid on a casting multiplier i had heard spiderwire is the best choice but i have no idea of how to go about setting it up ,:blinkand leader or no leader any help appreciated lads:blink: :blink:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
hi paul i fish with a few geordie lads who only use braid on their beach gear , 70lb dynon 3000 i was pretty sceptical having used braid before on beachcasting gear which was a nightmare (over runs at 3 in the morning with freezing hands) :yucky: but these guys really opened my eyes they fished this way through the biggests of tides and held bottom no prob, also they had great leverage in dragging good fish through kelp , you already have the gear they all used either a century ttr or an apollo coupled with a 535 mag or a slosh 30 both reels ate up nearly 300 yards of braid they used a shockleader only for casting purposes bit more forgiving than braid straight through the braid has to be put on under real preasure though to stop it biteing in
check your pms :secret:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would only use braid spining. I agree with the diameter should be bigger. For instance i use 20lb mono on beach as it is easier to get a birds nest out if using 20 rather than 15. Rough ground i use 30lb the same its easier to get a birds nest out than 25.
My mate uses 50lb braid and his braid got tangled on weed at cruden bay and there was no way it was going to snap so he ended up losing most of it.
Cean ground or on a boat with long trace on it ok but really i would,nt bother.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I exclusively use Spiderwire on my beach reels - 2xabu 6500's 3xPenn 525's - I can say I have no problems - those with problems need to consider whether their casting style is up to scratch - - that is where the "braid problems" start and end . IMHO. . . .
I use Fireline on my spinning / bait casting reels - see above . .
'Normal' braid is great on boat reels, but not too hot for the beach.
I use 30 lb BS + 50/60 lb shock. The knot usually parts before the braid. It has diameter of 13 lb BS mono - so can be used on rough marks but still produces great distance casts. see above.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I exclusively use Spiderwire on my beach reels - 2xabu 6500's 3xPenn 525's - I can say I have no problems - those with problems need to consider whether their casting style is up to scratch - - that is where the "braid problems" start and end . IMHO. . . .
I use Fireline on my spinning / bait casting reels - see above . .
'Normal' braid is great on boat reels, but not too hot for the beach.
I use 30 lb BS + 50/60 lb shock. The knot usually parts before the braid. It has diameter of 13 lb BS mono - so can be used on rough marks but still produces great distance casts. see above.
hi sandpiper i want to try 50lbs spiderwire on either a slosh 30 or a penn 525 the box of braid says it has the diameter of 12lbs mono hope you are right mate it may meen a change in style but i wont know unless i try it :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
tried it a few times and don't like it. never had an overun. on retrieve on sandy venues it can burn and cut into the thumb.

on a big fixed spool it is great. particularly for rough ground winching. will cast a hell of a long way too. i used 65lb whiplash. fish it straight through, unless a leader is necessary to avoid rubbing damage on the braid.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use 30lb whiplash on a 7000 and never had any problems with it. Brilliant for bite detection as there is no stretch except on the shock leader.
I also have a 6500 with 18lb nylon but considering putting on braid when next time I change the line.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm surprised Phil hasn't chimed in. He uses it on a multiplier and reckons it pays to lay the line out on a beach from time to time with a lead on the end. Dig in is the usual complaint and a tight windings stops that. As weight and diameter are different reel tuning is likely to be different too.

John

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I tried 30lb fireline braid on my daiwa millonare RM which was ok for a few casts (60lb mono shock leader) but when you get a crack off or a birdy it is pure hell Paul but deffo worth a try with bigger stuff at a certain tidal area we fish eh?
Neal
The Skink

·
Premium Member
37,940 Posts
I fish mainly clean surf beaches so my abu 6500 mags are loaded with 12lb mono and 60lb tapered shock leaders. I tried a 20lb firewire braid once and found there was a problem with the line biting in and in truth I did not see any gains. On my boat kits I only use 30lb braid and yes it is then a big advantage especially on deep marks.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
have a pal that uses it, birdies are a prob if you get them, but smooth casting and being very aware of your reels behavior is key to not having the probs (same with mono), i'm gonna try braid on my new bass rod set up, abu 6000 hi speed, should be interesting,

another tip he gave me, when fishing light and not casting big distances, is to lay the line quicker than you would on mono, ie, cover more left to right area when laying it, this helps to stop it biting into its own lay as the line goes slightly diagonally over the previous pass, though this isn't much use if casting big distance with it,

(just repeating what i was told !)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If you cast with superbraid the same way you cast with monofil you will suffer! You must change your technique and run your reel slower than with monofil. I use 30lb Berkeley (the greenish yellow colour), with a diameter of 0.30mm, and Tie a mono shock leader to it. Whether the rod you use is a soft-tipped or stiff-tipped model makes little difference, as long as you can feel the cast.
This is the 5th year I have demonstrated casting with superbraid on a multiplier at the NEC, obviously no-one on the site was watching apart from SSB, who seemed out to see how much gear she could get on a hired buggy!!

philtherod

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Used 35lb right through in the Swellies casting 3oz into Kelpy swims. Not trying for distance so never had birdsnests! As others have said avoid allowinf/forcing it to 'bed-in'! So when stuck I don't use the power of the rod like a crane or the reel like a winch but put rod down and using a piece of dowel I wrap the braid around it and pull for a break! Yes after time the first few yards become flat and frayed so I cut it off! Because I'm only fishing 40yds out I don't think I need a shock leader with 3oz and yes I lose alot of leads. Braid for me cuts down any distance when compared with mono as it seems 'sticky' somehow so only for deep close swims.

Recently in an attempt to learn to cast (!!!!) I've got myself a second spool for the Abu and use thinner mono and a conventional shock leader, but am going to try this Dynon DCT at 60lbs in an attempt to get a little more distance with what seems like very thin line. Anyone used the stuff?

By the way I was backing up the reel with mono so that only 100yds of braid was necessary. It lasted longer and even at Malcom's (ABC at Beaumaris) great price it was even better value! Agree about fixed spools - perfect line, particularly Spiderwire.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the comments guys i will post as too my results it will be going on a slosh or 525 so im off to try it on the field at the back of the house:g:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I hae tried it, ionly used 50lb Whiplash pro on my 535 for congering. But I had an idea and it worked for once.

Load your braid onto an old fix spool reel, then wind it off using the dag reasonably tight onto your multy it goes on with very little bedding in.
But not everyone has half knackered FS reels lying about I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts