World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hiya lads,
i&#39;m gonna be doing a bit of boat fishing come summer and will be uptiding, do i use braid?, i&#39;ll be using a 4 to 8oz probably.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Never been uptiding but I have heard that braid is a bad idea coz of the lack of stretch. What with the boat going up and down your sinker gets yanked out of the bottom, so you end up downtiding. No doubt someone out there has used it successfully but my guess would be in flat calms and weak tides. What does everyone else think?

Rhod.:)</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Danny
I&#39;ve not done any uptiding either but I&#39;ve heard the same as Rhod. However I know someone that fishes with 45lb braid straight through off the beach in some pretty fierce tide runs and he seems to manage. (gunna giv it bash myself I love fishing with braid).</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the replies lads.

I&#39;ve fished a lot but never ever used braid, i&#39;ve just purchased Power Pro (13kg), maybe i should keep it for pike/lure fishing then?.</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Regarding your question on braid i havent used it for boat fishing but use it all the time for spinning for bass and wouldnt go back to mono lines.I also use braid form the beach and have had no problems.I use dynon 2000.Take a spool with you and copare the two..good luck
</font>

·
Registered
49 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I do quite a lot of boat fishing, and would definitely say use mono for uptiding and braid for downtiding / wreck fishing.</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Never been uptiding but I have heard that braid is a bad idea coz of the lack of stretch. What with the boat going up and down your sinker gets yanked out of the bottom, so you end up downtiding. No doubt someone out there has used it successfully but my guess would be in flat calms and weak tides. What does everyone else think?

Spot on mate. Tried it once and as you say the lack of stretch makes the lead pull out. On a weak tide you may get away with it if you use a long mono shock leader, but i have found that uptiding on neaps is generally less productive than springs. I use 18lb main line with a 60lb shock leader, it works well. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I use braid uptiding all the time have for the past few years no problem at all I don't get leads pulling out just last week at Whitby the boat was getting tossed about plenty & plenty tide pull to no problems at all just fish it exactly the same as you would mono.Take no notice of the I heard that too brigade give it a try you'll see for yourself

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

I think try it & see never mind I heard if you don't youll never know for sure :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
guys the op is 10 years old lol

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have used braid for uptiding for years with a 50lb mono leader. I have used it all over the UK Dover, East coast, Bristol Chanel. I have never had an issue with the lead tripping through lack of stretch. In deeper water make sure you use a fixed lead sat a Gemini yellow. I have uptided in over 100 ft of water with no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts