Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken delivery of a spool of 20lb bs Spiderwire EZ braid and

was showing it to a work colleague,who used to do a lot of Carp

fishing,and he told me to keep an eye on the eyes cos he found that it

was leaving " grooves " on the eyes and that's the reason he stopped

using it.

My spinning rod has Aluminum Oxide Ceramic eyes.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this please ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've not grooved the eyes on my boat rods and they've had hard use since 2003. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been using braid for my shore fishing for years and have not seen any grooves on the rings but then again i'm not expecting too.
Ceramic is as hard as the hobs of hell, did you ever try drilling it.
I think your friend may have had the old style steel rings on his rod.:wallbash:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Never had a prob with it b4 but did hear something like that happening with an old rod but i would think the braid would fray b4 that.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
its not so much the material used but the quality of the rings ... ceramic inserts on good quality rings will have a smoother surface and will cause less friction ... cheapies are generally a bit rougher and the extra friction causes damage to both ring and braid. Ali oxide in brands such as Fuji or Seymo should give you no problems at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Guy's,
There were some problem's a couple of years ago when some manufactures started building braid. They were brading their line in a different way which caused some of friction when going through the rod ring's hence damaging the eye's. Also like said a fused line does have some effect on the cheaper rod ring's because most of them use a 4 strand dyeema braid which is then melted and fused and then coated. Onces the coating comes off it exposes the hard fused dyneema fibre under the coating. All our braid machines now coat our fused braid with a monofilament outer shell which most fused braids will be within a couple of years.
Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think this was a problem, but now braid has become common I wouldn't worry about it as rings have changed to suit. I use braid for piking now, and one rod is 20 years old no problems - your friend must've been unlucky.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guy's,

It looks like I'll give it a go then as the rod is a new one and

the eyes are Fuji so it shouldn't be a problem ( fingers crossed )

Regards

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts