World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I would like to know how folk get on using braid for rough ground fishing. Which type and wot poundage plus fixed spool or multi . I a! Not litely going to be using it at much range. Cheers

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Hi there,
I use 66lb PP braid on a multiplier, for my close in kelp and seriously rough ground fishing up my way.
Have to say, most others use FS, but I have not got round to practising casting with mine yet (an Ultegra 14000).
I have found huge advantages so far, in some situations. Obviously pulling out and retaining gear, but also snapping off. With mono, being snagged on a ledge or cliff face can be seriously hairy, as stretch means you need to walk back further than you can. With braid, snapping off is just a forceful step back. I just wrap my braid a few times round my whole reel cage, and step back with rod straight to target.
Casting is not as much of an issue as you might imagine on a multiplier. You obviously have to be careful about winding in, without bedding in, on every cast and retrieve, but that comes as second nature. I was casting 170 odd on the field with zero issues in flight, with over-run needing to be stopped immediately (braid is denser than mono, so you need to be forceful stopping reel)
In fishing, most casts are under 80 yards, and I do not worry at all about casting those distances. I am wary about casting bigger though, and have to be confident I have wound in 'cotton reel' and very even pressured. Even then, I don't really try to get further than 125 odd yards. Frankly, on my marks, that gets me to past serious heavy ground. If I need to cast further, it is usually onto sand or mixed, and I use mono.
My gear is stepped down all way - 66lb pp, 60lb shock, 50lb snoods, 50lb rotton bottom loop, and 20lb rotten bottom link (that way, if rotten bottom doesn't release from my loop - in strong winds. Etc. - I don't lose more than i need. With that set up, you are usually bending out hooks.
The times I don't use are on really long casting marks (when I use a 7000 and mono, 25lb or 40lb), and when it is really rough or windy, and weeded up.
I have never been weeded up on braid, and don't want to think about that. It could drag you in if drag was set too hard. Wind and rough can also drag your line, as no stretch, and means it just bounces to a snag.
I have got my finger stalls for FS, and probably should start to have a few cracks. I do like multipliers and reel down though!
Good luck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I use power pro 80 to 100 pound straight through but only need to cast about 50 yards and its not a problem only started using it this winter although it seems to be ok I still like mono with shockleader cheers john

·
Registered
415 Posts
In Florida I had used 100lb whiplash fishing sharks from the beach, attached to my leaders. The bar was only 20 yards out and you could feel the line rubbing but it held up on 4 good sized sharks. 2 bulls, 2 black tips.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i use it for lure fishing and occasional close in fishing when i am feeling for bites, and it is fine on multipliers for this, i have tried it for long range stuff with bigger weights, and it can be a nightmare if you get a birdie. i have also found that it tends to fray on rocky ground and is expensive, so i stick to mono for distance and rough ground. mind you over clean ground on a fixed spool it may be ok, but i tend to use multipliers.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i will look for some power pro and give it a go.cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts