World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Tried it a couple of times when was down your way last summer. Completely stopped the crabs from nicking hooks....however! If you like trying to get rid of the worst tangles man has ever seen, it's a dream. If not then just use heavier mono and put up with the pesky crabs.

Braid has always been known for tangles, and using for snoods really didn't work for me. However, I was using two or three, you may find that a single hook/pennell will cause no problems. Only one way to find out...

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
not tried it, but to avoit tangles, have you tried using booms and short snoods ? be ok for close range stuff.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
i am thinking of trying braid for snoods to stop geting my hook nicked by spider crabs any one tride this?
I take it this is in preparation for the chesil flatfish open,where a carpet of spiders await.
Top tip,
1. Stay at home,pop down the beach,bung £20 quid in and 40 hooks.
2. Rig up a slider,and slide a double figure smoothound down (might scare em off ).

Only playing,have fun and i hope you do the biz.:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
braid for hooklengths is just too limp and will tangle on most casts and as said earlier terrible to untangle. a short piece on a boom might work but thats no good if like me you prefer longer snoods.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Better ask the carp boys about that...they have masses of info on braids for hooklinks, sinking, floating, stiff, floppy, you name it, they have it. Learn from them, thats what angling is all about.
Years ago, I was the one who introduced the use of Amnesia and Powergum to sea anglers, the first anti-twist material to reduce spinning pout problems I tried was a flat nylon braid marketed by Normark for flyline backing. It worked perfectly, but was very expensive, so I investigated other flyline backing, and Sunset Amnesia was the best, although the braid was better still, but then money talks!!!

philtherod

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Better ask the carp boys about that...they have masses of info on braids for hooklinks, sinking, floating, stiff, floppy, you name it, they have it. Learn from them, thats what angling is all about.
Years ago, I was the one who introduced the use of Amnesia and Powergum to sea anglers, the first anti-twist material to reduce spinning pout problems I tried was a flat nylon braid marketed by Normark for flyline backing. It worked perfectly, but was very expensive, so I investigated other flyline backing, and Sunset Amnesia was the best, although the braid was better still, but then money talks!!!

philtherod
carp anglers can use it because when there trace hits the bottom thats where it stays on a lake bottom.

if you add tide movement plus the to and fro of swells or waves and the drag a tide places on lines your dead set for a tangle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wrote about braid before i do use spiderline saltwater fusion not the cheapest about £30 for 300yds but will last years very sniff as it as a coating i use it in 80lb and that as the test diameter of 25lb mono i have never had a tangle .As some have said about wire i use it alderney when going for bream out their not for crabs but to stop being bit off regular occurence off the breakwater

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If you try the anti tangle semi soft rig tubing on the braided snood leaving a short length of braid on the end it works a treat, fasten it bypartially pushing over the swivel. As far as braid in the sea its no different than braid on the Teme which is the fastest flowing river in the land, with variable multi direction eddies and runs. A real cheap and cheerful way to try it is with a length of the kids scoobies, stuff they use for plaiting bracelets and tat a quid buys you a lifetimes supply in all the colours of the rainbow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts