World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one guys, I use only 8 strand for all my freshwater lure fishing as that is what I was advised to use when I first started lure fishing so as I am going to get some braid to load on my Ultegra 14000 spare spools for summer use but looking at braids on ebay, the 4 strand is at a very good price so is it suitable for sea fishing and what is the main difference other than 8 strand will be a smoother surface due to more strands.

It sounds a daft question but there we go.

Phil

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
58,959 Posts
More strands the smoother, rounder, quieter.
And thinner.
I have used most of the top Japanese braids for many years now. Have to say though that the Daiwa 12 and Sufix 131 are easily the best I have used, with the Sufix having the edge.

Edit. The Sufix is not Japanese.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
The Whiplash 8 and stealth 8 are good thin smooth lines. Whatever you dont fall for the cheap chinese 4 strand braids. They are thick and rough.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
The suffix 131 and other high end braid tend to be less prone to wind knots when casting. The coatings on the braid seem to last well, mine still look and feel like new braid. There are some that swear by eBay braid and those who swear at it!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use Rovex Airstrike or Daiwa J Braid both 8 strand n my beach FS reels, have done for about 5 years now. Also use it on my bait runners in the estuaries fishing for golden ninjas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been a Sufix fan for many years and use their Tritanium mono now so Sufix 131 will be on my spare spools for those times when I use a fixed spool reel and on clean ground / estuary I am thinking perhaps 28lbs - .203mm BUT I am going to look at Invisible Braid from Toray Industries of Japan as I have used their braid for my pike and ultralight lure fishing with great success, just not sure who sells it now as the company that I used to get it from has now closed down.

Phil

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Been using braid from the outset, even field tested some of the very first Dynon 3 strand flat braid for the importer. Increasing the number of strands appears to have brought big incremental steps forward in performance of the braids. As stated by others, 4 strand is quite rough when compared to a good 8 strand; however, been recently testing a new 6 strand that has a different weave pattern to the normal 8 strand, and it is thinner than a comparable 8 strand (strength) from the same weaver and appears to perform better over the test period. This 6 strand has also proved to be quieter when passing through the guides on the cast.

There is a school of thought that for different applications, different weave patterns and constituents can significantly affect performance for any given application. Shorter casting distances required in say US Bass fishing and most lure fishing require a different braid construction to say maximum distance for surf casting, or other applications like deep water jigging. We all experienced the same sorts of variations with nylon lines and different applications, why do we expect it to be any different for braids? However, the problem for the big manufacturers is that they would rather just produce one braid to fit all applications, apart from the obvious colour marker braids aimed at the jigging market, the biggest single global market is for US Bass fishing.

Braid coverings is another issue, as the core material UHMWPE is pretty inert to taking coatings, and they effectively have to be a self setting enclosure, rather than bonding to the actual core material. We have had some solid experience of braids that haven't had any coating, sure they are pretty mundane being just plain white, but they are infinitely more flexible and softer, and in surf casting have a noticeable effect on distances attained.

Reactions: Phil Roberts

·
58,959 Posts
I have been a Sufix fan for many years and use their Tritanium mono now so Sufix 131 will be on my spare spools for those times when I use a fixed spool reel and on clean ground / estuary I am thinking perhaps 28lbs - .203mm BUT I am going to look at Invisible Braid from Toray Industries of Japan as I have used their braid for my pike and ultralight lure fishing with great success, just not sure who sells it now as the company that I used to get it from has now closed down.

Phil
Toray do some super braids for themselves and others.

·
58,959 Posts
What is a 'super braid', as opposed to just 'braid'?
8-12+ strands.

The standout for smoothness has to be the Daiwa Morethan, but I prefer the 131 from Sufix.
I think it's 12 woven strands plus a central core strand.
Slightly more rigid than the silk-like Daiwa.

Wonderful to use.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
8-12+ strands.

The standout for smoothness has to be the Daiwa Morethan, but I prefer the 131 from Sufix.
I think it's 12 woven strands plus a central core strand.
Slightly more rigid than the silk-like Daiwa.

Wonderful to use.
Not wishing to sound picky, but is this 8-12+ designation official in any way, or just arbitrary advertising hype?

I don't doubt your personal opinion, but how do you determine 'smoothness'?

Just for the benefit of accuracy, the Sufix 131 is 12 strands of dyneema and one strand of Goretex.

There is unfortunately a lot of hype surrounding braids, as well as a lot of 'non-science', which just feeds a lack of real knowledge about particular products, rather than advertisers magic words. This is not meant as criticism, but just a quest for clear information.

·
58,959 Posts
Not wishing to sound picky, but is this 8-12+ designation official in any way, or just arbitrary advertising hype?

I don't doubt your personal opinion, but how do you determine 'smoothness'?

Just for the benefit of accuracy, the Sufix 131 is 12 strands of dyneema and one strand of Goretex.

There is unfortunately a lot of hype surrounding braids, as well as a lot of 'non-science', which just feeds a lack of real knowledge about particular products, rather than advertisers magic words. This is not meant as criticism, but just a quest for clear information.
Experience of using them mate.

Been using braid for decades, since it first came out.

Smoothness by feel and touch and also the way it flies out through the rod rings.

Reactions: SiDfish
1 - 20 of 30 Posts