World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked before but a search of past threads revealed so many braid threads with differing origins I thought I'd see if anyone doesn't mind revisiting it ....

Basically I've always been a multiplier man and on an open beach I'll still go to my Zippy bullets and 7ht mags but over the years I've tried various long 3 piece rods and fixed spool reels,running various lines with.......various results.

I remember for a long time using Rapala Stretch braid (.32) to a normal non tapered mono .65 leader on my century SREs , never really had much trouble - til I did, if that makes any sense. Once I hit a cast a wee bit harder and got a ring wrap and subsequent crack off I seemed to do it with some regularity and entered a period of uncertainty ,swapping to lighter 0.18 kind of braid diameters, tapered leaders etc, but with similar results, suddenly from years of trouble free mono casting I'm like a newbie, cracking off the braid regularly.
So I left it alone or fished mono but with people extolling the virtues of braid as much as they do I've wanted to find a happy, reliable combo as there's no disputing the bite detection and direct feel of braid. Several things have sprung to mind to ask.......

Is it essential to go for a round profile braid ?

Is there a point where low diameter braids start to cause problems on beach weight tackle, is it best to stick to .30 up or so?

Do people find more problems with mono leaders, I se more going for braid leaders now

Do rings cause probs with braid specifically? I've rods with K guides and Low riders.

I see people talking about 88lb straight through etc but can't make my mind up, seems casting a .40 line has got to be counter productive distance wise? And that means I'm using a .40 leader effectively, albeit strong I'd not feel comfortable casting it any way but overhead, it seems to stack up to distance reduction. I'm no noddy with a rod and am able to drop a plain lead comfortably in the 180-200 yard range in the right conditions with the multi set up, I've read so many times ' I use. X and X and it FLIES' or similar, only to see the same people cast and realise it actually FLIES to about 80 yards ......

From what I've reasoned out for myself I was heading toward a .28-.32 braid to a heavier braid or tapered mono leader but an still wrought with doubt from the experiences of a few years back and don't want to sink £40 on braid til I'm sure there's any significant advantage ........ Or do I leave the mono on and forget braid on my F/S??

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dead simple really. 6o/80lb straight thro, or, 30lb mainline and 60/80lb leader.all braid.

Age Epoch Spectra from Ebay.

All your troubles will be over.

Den

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
80-100lb braid leader attached to any diameter braid should be fine. Make sure braid is on your reel as tight as possible, don't just wind it on off the spool, it needs to be put on under pressure. I put mine on off an old multi with the drag tightened up. Also make sure the butt ring is spaced far enough from the reel to allow the line to flow. For rings I like k guides with a 30 or ideally 40mm. Regarding rods a one that doesn't recover quickly will also increase the risk of crack offs. Braid in a sidewind can be troublesome with cheap Chinese braid and big knots causing problems.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have used braid for a long time now, and have been through various makes and various reels.
What I have found is that some braids are good for powercasting and the same for reels and some are not!
It's an expensive effort to get the right combination, but enjoyable all the same. You may have to do the same
t0 find the right combo that suits you!

One thing that I'll always do when starting a new fishing sesh using braid, is to have a few gentle casts before I bait up,
just to settle the braid on the reel, I do this every time I go fishing.
I have had only a few hiccups since using braid so it makes me wonder why all these guy's have trouble with braid?
I have never had ring wraps only a bit of bunching on the odd occasion when I have been in a rush and forgotten to
have a couple of casts first, so thats been down to me, my fault not the braid.
I have never had problems with using a heavy mono leader to braid, goes through the rings fine, and my rings are nothing special,
Minimas or BNHG, the standard green fuji's.

The reason I use braid is its life span, no more keep changing mono line every couple of weeks and its strength of course.
Tying mono to a heavy mono leader and the weak spot is the knot, tying braid to a heavy braid leader is stronger than a mono tie,
though I don't tie it, I thread via a needle down through a hollow Dacron leader and with a couple of overhand knots it's strong, I use 80/100lb
Dacron Leader.
If you are fishing clean ground then decent 30lb braid tied to a leader my way is strong enough for anything that comes your way and you will be
able to get the distance you want!
Fishing real rough ground then 80/100lb braid with a say 120lb leader and a rotten bottom will keep you fishing all night with out any problems!
because using heavier braid allows you to use a decent heavier rotten bottom so that you can still cast without danger of the rotten bottom snapping,
thats the way i fish, others may fish differently.
I guess I would say that if funds are limited than use a decent braid of 65lb which with a bit of care would cope with most types of fishing, distance or rough.

I use an E1000 though with slightly larger Minimas than would be normal on a multi rod, various reels, fixed or multi,
all with braid and really do not have any problems, for me both 832 or HD4 suits me in the smaller diameters whereas I tend to use Crystal
or Fireline in the heavier stuff.
Trial and error m8, get it right and it all works well, also best to find a fixed spool reel that fishes well with braid, cause I am sure some of the problems caused are due to the way a reel lays line???
Good luck which ever way you go

lighty

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cheers for taking the time guys, esp Lighty , loads of info to chew on.

Always felt the problem was probably down to a big clonky leader knot hitting the guides and causing a sudden ,if slight,drop in the speed of line being taken out through the tip , allowing loops to build up again the butt ring rather than being taken smoothly straight through.
I have always recently leaned toward low diameter braids but will try a few round profile ones & see how it goes, the agepoch isn't expensive to experiment with..... Braid still sounds like a lot of work though , if the benefits outweigh that it's worth it though :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Some good posts on here about the problem your having. Now I don't get any problems not one with braid and I back cast. So I will tell you what I use. 33LB Power pro main line and 106lb power pro leader. Like Lighty says you need the right reel. My reels are the daiwa ts6000t arguably one of the best fixed spool reels out there. My rods got k -guides on it and the bottom ring 40mm is well away from the reel. This set up works for me and believe me its not been cheap. Nothing worst when your fishing and your casting hard and cracking off. There are many theory's why anglers get problems with braid and power casting. Ive got my theory's as well , hence the set up above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.