World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a few problems with the braid to fluorocarbon knot cutting through the fluorocarbon leader lately, resulting in 2 lost plugs. I started using double uni knots back-to-back a couple of years ago and ddn't have this problem but now I'm using more surface plugs I think there is more stress on the line /leader, so I have tried using an albright knot but this did the same. I just wondered if it's just my bad knots or does this happen to anyone else?
thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I've been having a few problems with the braid to fluorocarbon knot cutting through the fluorocarbon leader lately, resulting in 2 lost plugs. I started using double uni knots back-to-back a couple of years ago and ddn't have this problem but now I'm using more surface plugs I think there is more stress on the line /leader, so I have tried using an albright knot but this did the same. I just wondered if it's just my bad knots or does this happen to anyone else?
thanks
Ok, first we need to know what fluoro and braid you're using including bs, also do you lubricate the knot before tightening?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I too have had this problem, only once so far but losing a £10 plug makes me wonder whether it may happen again. I don't wet the knot now on advice from these forums, and use the albright knot with about 14-15 turns, which I gently pull together.I am using Berkeley Trilene Fluorocarbon 15lb and 20lb penn braid.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I can't say I've had any problems like this whe using my usual barra setup. I use 14lb fireline and a 30lb flouro leader (Specificly formulated as leader material rather than as a mainline and made by Seagar for Bass Pro) joined with a double uni.
The only thing that I do always do after a few initial experiments is to but more turns on the fireline than on the flouro - about 7 and 11.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, first we need to know what fluoro and braid you're using including bs, also do you lubricate the knot before tightening?
Sorry I should have said, it's Suffix Performance 30lb with 25lb Suffix Invisiline, and yes I do lubricate the knot well. I had hoped that using heavier fluoro would stop this happening - would a swivel be better instead?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I started some experiments before going to Cuba this summer on knot strength and durability. Nothing too scientific involving numbers, but I did note that my new braids, especially those with a waxy finish such as Whiplash and Spiderwire, occasionally pulled through even a 12+ turn allbright knot (this was 45lb and 65lb braids to 50lb and 80lb Stren fluo respectively). However, addition of a small dob of superglue made the knot virtually unbreakable and unpullable.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hi Pugs
Stren mono does knot better but it's very visible in water, even the clear line. You're right about knot strength and fluro but in clear or shallow water I have found that the visibility makes a difference to the number of takes I've had when lure fishing and livebait drifting (abroad, mostly).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You're always going to find some smug ******* like me who says they don't have a problem with certain knots and lines, I've never had a problem with using berkley fluoro but lots of other people say its awful. I think the way you tie a knot can have a bigger impact than what type of knot it is.

(Sorry if you do this already) But for me tying knots is a labour of love -if you need any motivation just think of the fish of a lifetime you could lose- I'm very careful when tying the the knot and tightening. I'm constantly checking whether the knot is symetrical and neat especially when tightening(this means tightening slowly). At the end I leave fairly long tags and give the line a jolly good test with a few shocks thrown in before trimming the tags.

But care isnt the only factor, I think tying style is also important -care and style probably account for all the contradictions you'll find about this. You may have to find the best knot for your individual tying style(I know).

have a look at these http://www.sportfishingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=43557 http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/staying-power-53427.html

even he contradicts himself from article to article -see the palomar and fireline and fireline crystal results(fireline may have changed between the articles though -it certainly has in colour). He also conceeds that you might get different results. Be careful about the bristol/yucatan knot Ive seen three ways of tying this.

As far as the albright(similar to the bristol) goes, again there are several variations. Ive had good results but limited experience with the alberto variation. http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/Articles/article_arby_albertos_knot.shtml

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had an Albright 'uncurl' on me the other day. Its the first time I have ever had a problem with the knot. Its slightly worrying, as like Pisc I get satisfaction out of knowing I have tied the best possible knot, after all, your tackle is only as strong as its weakest point. I am going to stick with it though, but now carry a small super glue tube to put a dab on the knot after tying.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi Pugs
Stren mono does knot better but it's very visible in water, even the clear line. You're right about knot strength and fluro but in clear or shallow water I have found that the visibility makes a difference to the number of takes I've had when lure fishing and livebait drifting (abroad, mostly).
I've never had any probs with mono vis, but there again I only use a mono lead whilst spinning when using a popper and then the 'lead' is only 12 inches or so.

Fluro with a bubble float and live prawn does appear to have better hook up but I lost a good Bass which I attributed to the low strength knot....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help, I think I'll have a look at that Alberto variation on the Albright and maybe some superglue and be a bit more careful and make sure all the loops are nice and neat. Or maybe just get some clear Amnesia and try that for a while, either way thanks again.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd avoid superglue and look at tying a locking knot after the albright, the little manual that comes with powerpro details how to do this locking knot. It makes it so that two knots have to slip for the albright to fail, a lot better in my opinion and I've never had it slip through once I tie it like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts