World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've never tried a braid shockleader but i have heard that it makes casting feel very vicious and unforgiving. Having zero stretch does sound very appealing but in practise it must have its pit falls.

And appart from all that braid shockleaders are illegal on most, if not all, tourney fields! :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello mate,
I'm no big caster, and certanly not a tournament guy, but a fishing mate of mine uses long lengths of 80 lb Dacron as a rig body for his paternosters, and swears by them - he reckons it gives him better feel, and with less stretch (nearly 50% reduction on nylon) he reckons it gives him more distance as well (the top of his rigs are at the tip ring when casting).

Whether this is psychological or not I don't know - the other issue for a full shock leader (other than not being allowed) on a casting court, could be the holding of the spool - not too sure how 'slippy' braid or similar would be, but a very good question - could well be worth experimenting with.

Mart.

·
Registered
557 Posts
"Dacron" braid is to my knowledge a bit stretchy and has been replaced by "Dyneema" allowing better dia. to B/S ratio.

Braid may be fine for the spool, but for leaders and rigs questionable as to reliability under stress. It cuts off easily on rough ground and abrasion takes its toll readily.

I am sure its fine for short range fishing, lures, spinners, floats and the like used straight to the sharp stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.