World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending a couple of hours on the net searching for advice about braid I've decided to have a go. However still not sure what lb main line and and leader to go for. I'm currently using mono 20lb main line to 60 shock leader. I've seen a couple of posts where people are using 50lb braid straight through but surely the tide and wind will have an affect. I thought 1 advantage of braid was a smaller diameter!! Would 20 to 60 in braid be a good place to start ??
I fish Chesil beach often and Dungeness a couple of times a year at the moment.
Thanks in advance Simon

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have been using superbraids for 14 years.I use mainly powerpro35lb b.s.and 28lb
"Tracer"yellow/black, each section is 5 feet long. The braids float, useful if trying grim areas as a quick retrieve lifts the weight out of harms way.

PTR

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I would go for any breaking strain braid mainline but a braid leader of 80-100lb. It will cut the tide much better than mono but it does put pressure on you sinker hold especially in a rough sea. 15kg powerpro is my favourite for all round fishing and would be a good choice for beach up to mixed/heavy ground. You can go heavier but you will be surprised how strong it is.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Don't mix and match your line types. A mono leader with braid will give nothing but problems, crack offs, ring wraps, lost rings etc. There are loads of threads on this and it's been done to death. For lobbing you will get away with it but feed the power in and that's when the problems start.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I use 6oz leads and 14lb braid with varivas tapered leaders and have no problems. Give it some welly, that's the whole point of fixed spool and long rods.
I am not a fan of braid if there are any rocks about as only 50lb fireline has proved abrasion resistant for me, but the dia means you'd be better using mono anyway which defeats the object.
You might find braid works great over rough ground but for me braids have pretty much 0 abrasion resistance and are only for clean beach and distance.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
After spending a couple of hours on the net searching for advice about braid I've decided to have a go. However still not sure what lb main line and and leader to go for. I'm currently using mono 20lb main line to 60 shock leader. I've seen a couple of posts where people are using 50lb braid straight through but surely the tide and wind will have an affect. I thought 1 advantage of braid was a smaller diameter!! Would 20 to 60 in braid be a good place to start ??
Thanks in advance Simon
Hi Simon,

Getting my tackle ready for a couple of competitions over the coming weekends. Our fishing is more inline with what you would call heavy or mixed ground fishing - and not aiming for Bronzies, but upto 50-60lb small sharks. The reels are loaded with 30lb braid, and 80lb braid leaders. Will also take a light scratching outfit which will be fitted with 20lb braid main, with a thick 50lb braid leader.

The essense of using braid is that for any given strength it is much thinner than a nylon equivalent, and in all surf casting the size/thickness of the line has a strong influence on the distances achieved. Add to that the need for abrasion resistance, usually around the end tackle - so slightly thicker braid will suffice as a leader.

Using mono leaders is not a great issue, but does compromise the very 'thin' nature of what you are presenting, especially if you are fishing in any sort of current - an 80lb braid leader will always present a thinner profile to the current than even a 50lb mono leader. The advantages of a mono leader is that it is much more abrasion resistant than a braid leader. The downside of mono to braid koints is a thicker knot than can be achieved with braid to braid connections. This may prove troublesome with 'some' rods, as they might not have the best ring spacing or type of ring to cope with casting braid/mono combination. The upside of a mono leader, is that it can for some folks provide a little elasticity in the set up, especially for casting, and gives a little forgiveness to poor casting technique.

There is an added factor with braids, in that 8 strand construction can be thinner and sometimes more supple than say 4 strand lines, especially as some of the early braid designs had seriously thick coatings. In a lot of cases you get what you pay for, and there are a good number of 'knock offs' around, especially from some internet sites. If the price looks too good to be true, the product probably isn't!

The whole upside of braid on surf casting rods is a huge benefit, as the totally direct feel of everything that is happening at the far end, does question how we fished with mono for so many years.

Which ever way you go, enjoy.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Reactions: jackjock

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I'm interested you find a 50lb braid leader works ok in your area. I've used tiger braid, power pro, tuffline, fireline, whiplash plus a couple others I cant remember over the years on gravel pits and highland lochs chasing pike and have only be happy with power pro in 65lb+ and fireline in 50lb. But both of these diameters defeat the purpose of braid to my fishing when I can safely use 12lb mono and have a lower diameter. Certainly compared to fireline.

Do you find you have to change your rubbing braid every session? During a session. I'm going to be using 80lb straight through on a conger outfit but haven't been out with it yet to test in the flesh.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
I'm interested you find a 50lb braid leader works ok in your area. I've used tiger braid, power pro, tuffline, fireline, whiplash plus a couple others I cant remember over the years on gravel pits and highland lochs chasing pike and have only be happy with power pro in 65lb+ and fireline in 50lb. But both of these diameters defeat the purpose of braid to my fishing when I can safely use 12lb mono and have a lower diameter. Certainly compared to fireline.

Do you find you have to change your rubbing braid every session? During a session. I'm going to be using 80lb straight through on a conger outfit but haven't been out with it yet to test in the flesh.
As in the text, 50lb braid leader is used on a scratching set up with 20lb braid main line. We just need a little protection with the lighter lines, as we have a problem with sinkers getting buried in the sand and grit, hence the slightly reduced abrasion resistance requirement. By definition, the 'scratching' outfit is not used for the small sharks, but small edible species mostly less than 1olbs.

On the heavier braid outfits, right up to Bronzie level, we are generally using breakaway type releases, and there we do have to keep a wary eye on wear on the leader, as the breakaway releases were originally designed for mono, so the ball is possibly not as smooth as moight be desired for braid. As we are potentially casting from the same point on the braid everytime, some release clips do tend to wear the braid leader. Other than that, we don't replace braid leaders until we perhaps 'hook Africa', and have to pull for a break.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks in advance Simon
Got to agree with Chukka on this ,braid line and braid leader will give far less problems.Using braid with mono leader the different types of line must feed through the rings slightly differently,it caused me a few hiccups!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks in advance Simon
Got to agree with Chukka on this ,braid line and braid leader will give far less problems.Using braid with mono leader the different types of line must feed through the rings slightly differently,it caused me a few hiccups!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
This is an area where everyone has their opinion and as pointed out has been done to death on this site. Use the search tool to filter though the vast amount of opinions.

As for me, I've used braid since it was first introduces over 20 years ago and have it almost every outfit I own (around 40) including game reels. I also use mono leaders on almost every outfit including beach reels and have no problem with crack offs or braid around rings. I'm not saying this doesn't happen because it most certainly can depending on the action of the rod, make of braid and other factors including wind direction.

I fish much lighter line class than most people but also target quite large fish on it, most braids are stronger than labelled.

JonD

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't mix and match your line types. A mono leader with braid will give nothing but problems, crack offs, ring wraps, lost rings etc. There are loads of threads on this and it's been done to death. For lobbing you will get away with it but feed the power in and that's when the problems start.
To be honest I use mono leader but lately I have been winding the power up and I have started to get ring wraps on 2/3rd eye down is this my problem?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
To be honest I use mono leader but lately I have been winding the power up and I have started to get ring wraps on 2/3rd eye down is this my problem?
Level or tapered leader?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.