World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of quick advise.

I will be out on a boat, possibly drift fishing (if weather is ideal) or uptiding. What would be the best braid (not too expensive) to use on my slosh30, if this real is good enough for these two kinds of fishing and how much would i need to put on this reel.

I'm interested in using braid for the first time as i've read good reports on it. I know its good for bite detection, because of no stretch.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The reel if fine for both types of fishing , but braid is far from ideal to use for uptiding - due to the lack of stretch.

You can get 300yrds of Powerpro from e-bay for just short of £20 ( inc p&p ).

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would try and get another spool for your reel and load one with say 18lb mono and a 60lb leader for beach work and uptiding and another for loading with 30lb braid for drifting and downtiding at anchor. Although another spool will cost about £25 its a lot cheaper than getting another reel. Personally i like the Berkley Whiplash braid, you will get 300m sent for £17.49 on eBay 'Buy it Now' or even cheaper if you wait for it to come through in the auctions!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Personally I use 30lb Powerpro which has the diameter of 8lb mono.

If you don't fish very deep water or lose too much braid - reverse the braid on the reel when it starts to get a bit tatty.

Uptiding really needs the stretch of mono with a soft tip uptide rod to work properley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts