World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right lads , thinking of loading my multi with braid, any tips advice please. I fish mainly clean ground,but occasionally kelp rock areas.
I want to load up an akios 656 ct, one without level wind. Was thinking of 60lb , then 80lb mono leader .

Do I require spool backing?
How much of the spool do you fill, i have heard to keep the amount down only half fill?
What about layering on retrieve.?
What brand would you recommend?
Also heard go for a round braid profile not the flat type, which are these.?

This should be ok for starters, thanks in advance Smudger.:g:

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Hi Smudger,
If you are bullet proof on multipliers, you will be absolutely fine, though I would suggest you stick to smooth styles, like pendulum.
I use Power Pro. 66lb EU/50lb US is fine for beaches. I loaded that for kelp, but going to upgrade to 80lb US for next season, as I don't want to be one of those who snags up marks with braid.
I use a rock reel, and have mono backing, as an Abu 9000 takes a full 455 yards of the PP US 50lb.
You can power cast on the field, but I wouldn't in fishing situations. I only really use it for sub 100 yard marks.
Wind on under tension with every retrieve. If you don't, casting out can be jerky (at best).
If I get snagged, I wind braid round reel cage to pull out. Don't use hands or jacket arm like we do with mono!!!
Braid is denser than mono, so be ready to firmly stop reel at casts end. If you don't, it can give a very small birds nest - just three spool turns max, but fiddly to unpick at night sometimes.
Don't use it in heavy wind or swells, as lack of stretch means your sinker is bounced into snags. Preferably not a hard core rock rod either. I use C curve, but something like a Kompressor s or equivalent is good, i.e. softer tip.
And, don't use when water is weeded up. You will regret that.
Hope that answers most?
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You must've read my mind as I was going to ask the same question!

I want to put some braid on my 535 Mag2 - do I need to put the mags on more than I would for mono?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
always mono on spool first so the braid will not slip even if only 30m
I wrap one layer of insulation tape round my reel, then tie braid on, and then continue round with one layer of tape (you obviously cut the tape down the middle for the last wrap, to accommodate line).

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
You must've read my mind as I was going to ask the same question!

I want to put some braid on my 535 Mag2 - do I need to put the mags on more than I would for mono?
I just cast as for mono.
The problems are only caused by either a loose coil or digging in. Keeping tension on and cotton reeling line sorts that.
If you have mags on strong enough to stop line at end of cast, they will likely inhibit cast? Check?
As I say, on the field, you can knock out a 200 yard on a rock reel, no problem. But fishing is different. One issue, and a full on pendulum, and you likely snap your line instantly or bend your spool.
No problems if you are sensible.
For marks over 100 yards, there usually is not kelp, so I switch to either my 40lb or 25lb rock reels.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Or Save all the bother and use a fixed spool

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
you have to run it from left to right fast so it cannt dig in , your cast will be severly restricted as well,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Biggest problem with braid and multipliers is when it does snatch or overrun its usually scissor time because its almost impossible to untangle compared to mono.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
you have to run it from left to right fast so it cannt dig in , your cast will be severly restricted as well,
Rubbish, especially the second bit. I've been using braid (66lb power pro - .36mm, round profile) on a Saltist 20 and 525 Mag for well over a year now. I treat it exactly the same as mono, never had a problem with "digging in" and I can put a baited trace as far as I could if the reels were loaded up with mono (though not as far as my 7HT Mag and .35mm mono). To another poster, the only problems with braid come when the sea is rough or there is a lot of weed about, neither of which would be solved by using a mangle instead (nor would LL's point about fishing over barnacled rock edges or concrete terraces).

·
Registered
297 Posts
do NOT use mono backing. if you get a big fish or a snag at a good distance the braid can sometimes chop through the mono, especially if it has seen a few sessions. from personal experience, the cons outweigh the benefits. rock marks will ruin braid fairly quickly as they have fairly pathetic abrasion resistance (a well proven fact), a good birds nest will almost certainly result in you cutting the line off and respooling, it's more expensive than mono and if you use big diameter braid, there will be no difference in casting distance either.

the only benefit I can see is the extra strength compared to line diameter, but the way I see it, I've pulled a 32lb cod on a rock mark in from over 80 metres out using 18lb mono with no problems, do I really need 60lb+ braid and all it's problems? I regularly use fine braids for shads on a spinning rod, as well as 100lb+ for big halibut, but I feel it just isn't worth it on a beachcaster

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
do NOT use mono backing. if you get a big fish or a snag at a good distance the braid can sometimes chop through the mono, especially if it has seen a few sessions. from personal experience, the cons outweigh the benefits. rock marks will ruin braid fairly quickly as they have fairly pathetic abrasion resistance (a well proven fact), a good birds nest will almost certainly result in you cutting the line off and respooling, it's more expensive than mono and if you use big diameter braid, there will be no difference in casting distance either.

the only benefit I can see is the extra strength compared to line diameter, but the way I see it, I've pulled a 32lb cod on a rock mark in from over 80 metres out using 18lb mono with no problems, do I really need 60lb+ braid and all it's problems? I regularly use fine braids for shads on a spinning rod, as well as 100lb+ for big halibut, but I feel it just isn't worth it on a beachcaster
Your experience is personal, I understand that, but is at odds with many.
The reason I, and others, have turned to braid on seriously heavy rock marks is because we loose a great deal less end gear. And, my braid lasts a great deal longer than mono. Both considered, I do not think there is much in it cost wise. If you are using a well sourced value Chinese braid, with qualities similar to PP, I reckon you are quids in.
How can you use a 30lb, say, rotten bottom link with 18lb main? I bet that fact alone would cost you more in lead in a few sessions than a spool of even PP costs!
Many fishing rock marks, with heavy kelp, are using 50lb snoods or more. Braid enables hooks to be bent out if snagged.
If you argued the case that it was better to use FS, I would understand. Many serious anglers my way have moved to FS, and sing their praises to me. But to say braid offers no benefits in any situation is, in my opinion at least, wrong.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i'm not saying braid has no benefits in any situation, i'm just saying beachcasting with a multiplier isn't one of them. i'm not sure what you mean about the rotten bottom link. you obviously cannot use a 30lb link with 18lb mainline, but you would use a link of 50-70% of the mainline strength. I fish some of the roughest rock and kelp marks in mid and north Norway weekly, with cod reaching well over 20lb+ not uncommon, yet I still don't need to go overkill with my tackle, and very rarely lose more than two or three leads in a 12 hour session. 18lb mono, a 50 lb rig body with 25lb hooklength (mainly for combating rock abrasion when playing a big fish in and for toothy buggers).

as I said though, that's just my opinion. if it works for others, good for them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Used braid for years. The haters will always hate most of them have never used braid on a multi before so there comments are irrelevant.

I've used braid on my saltist and 525 on some of the heaviest rock marks in the NE. To be fair i don't go for the big heevo as you dont have to on these rock marks. But i fish 60lb chinese braid straight through, you dont get birdsest, it doesnt dig in (it might if 20 years ago when braid was cr*p) i recently put it to the test on my abu 65 and it flew out as mono would. You need to be a prolific casting if it does go wrong its not like a mono where you get a huge birdsnest it will either stop dead (depending on lb) or dig in and snap.

Braid is the future imo everyone will be using it soon. I find it ironic how the northerners who are after big cod favour it however the southerners who are after a 2lb flattie or whiting hate it lol.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
can I ask where you get your braid from? If its on Ebay, any chance you could tell an item number that matches?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts