World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is best for a beach caster and FS reel?

If anyone uses baraid can you suggest a brand and what BS is best.

Also is a tapered leader better or straight through.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Braid is ok when the sea is calm but useless in rough seas, I use 0.2mm 30lb chinese braid with a mono leader on my fixed spools in calm seas as it casts much further than mono, but when it roughs up for the best bass fishing I use 15lb mono and leader, braid has no stretch and leads will not grip in rough sea because the lead pulls out, best to get reels with a spare spool so you can use both braid or mono,

·
Registered
12 Posts
If u got a spare spool put it on backwards so then u will have a better indication of how much main line u have, then swap spools and reel it on again and it will be the right way round

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If u got a spare spool put it on backwards so then u will have a better indication of how much main line u have, then swap spools and reel it on again and it will be the right way round
Will it not cause line twist when you re spool it.

But a great idea TY

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have 35 years experience sea fishing and have used both braid and mono and for me it's mono every time. Really dont like braid at all. But that's just me. But for what it's worth, good quality mono every time.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 35 years experience sea fishing and have used both braid and mono and for me it's mono every time. Really dont like braid at all. But that's just me. But for what it's worth, good quality mono every time.
Never used braid myself so just musing it over.

But can see the benefit in our strong tides around norfolk.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I much prefer braid (I like genuine Power Pro, .19, .23 and .28 for main lines, .43 for shockleaders); but I have fairly soft rods so the lack of stretch doesn't cause problems with the lead not gripping in rougher weather, I just have a rod tip that constantly moves with the waves. The fine braid casts much better into headwinds that accompany the rough seas.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Am thinking the finer diameter will help in our heavy flow.

Whats the life on braid like using in salt water and do you need to wash spools off when you get home?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
You need to wash your reels and oil them every time they are used in salt water, if not they will rot away,

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to wash your reels and oil them every time they are used in salt water, if not they will rot away,
I just knew this was a hobby/sport the Mrs could partake in too lol lol

I did know suppose what I really meant was does braid last as long in salt water as id does in freshwater.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Braid will last years so long as it's not damaged or frayed, best to keep checking it as the slightest nick will snap it,

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Yarmouth can be bad for weed so you will struggle with braid as the leads won't hold in them strong tides, mono is better

1 - 20 of 58 Posts