World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nearly everybody seems to use mono but im thinking about using braid as i think it i`l help when beach fishing 2 detect the bites better ? i`d like 2 hear from some people on what they use ! ...thanks scottie

·
Registered
179 Posts
used to use 20lbs Power Pro or fireline as mainline and a good 25lbs or 30lbs Seaguar leader in double rod length. That worked fine for me. Had the same thoughts like you, better bite detection. Cant say if it really helped, changed on both used reels at the same time.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
A friend of mine uses it and swears by it but when you get a birdsnest it's scissor time to sort it out.
I use it on a small fixed spool for spinning and imho that is the best use for it on the shore.

·
Registered
312 Posts
depending on situation i'll use both - i used a fixed spool with 60lb braid (equal to 10mm mono diameter) straight through and a match rod, this gives me great bite detection and is strong enough to cast distance if i need to. (be carefull of finger slices)

i've found if you go too light on the braid the sand or small stones cut or damage the braid so choose a tougher braid but you could also use a lighter braid and a rubbing leader.

i've also found out the wind can be problematic when it comes to the braid and the match rod - the rods too floopy and creates a wind loop after the cast. so i'd tend to put on a heavier tip (twin tip rod) to stop that. i carefull cast and keep the tip low also help stop all that.

i have never used it on any of my multipliers as i dont want to risk having to replace it incase of any dreaded birdies that happen on occasion.

dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts