World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i think this is my first post here anyways I'm looking at putting 80lb braid straight through onto my spinfisher 7500lc just wanted to ask what lb mono backing do I need to put onto my reel to then put the braid ontop. Also what braid is everyone using thinging of going for the blue camo spiderwire 80lb or whiplasb but not sure any help appreciated.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
80 is huge, are you fishing into rough ground or deliberately for huge fish?

Backing I like 4 or 6lb mono. You just need a back on the spool.

For most uk fishing 30-40lb braid with a braid leader is far better.
80lb Braid will catch the tide and wind as bad as 20lb mono

Reactions: Jordan price

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishing in the North east mate you will see most people fish with 60-90 straight through. Yeah how do you judge how much mono to put onto the spool before i put the braid knot into it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fishing in the North east mate you will see most people fish with 60-90 straight through. Yeah how do you judge how much mono to put onto the spool before i put the braid knot into it.
I use 60 or 70lb Saratoga,its tough as old boots for the rock ends.If you have a spare spool wind say 250 yards straight onto spool then tie on youe backing line and continue to fill spool until full.Then wind it onto your other spool and backing will be on first and filled to correct level

·
Registered
19,957 Posts
:) If you've got 2 spools it's easy or if a mate has the same reel. You wind the braid onto an empty spool and add the mono, then wind it onto your reel mono first, leaving a bit of space for your leader, if you use one. :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
hello i think this is my first post here anyways I'm looking at putting 80lb braid straight through onto my spinfisher 7500lc just wanted to ask what lb mono backing do I need to put onto my reel to then put the braid ontop. Also what braid is everyone using thinging of going for the blue camo spiderwire 80lb or whiplasb but not sure any help appreciated.
I try and use whatever mono I've got laying around, but I do try and choose one that is close to the diameter of the braid if I can.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
As above, two spools just load on what braid you want and top up then wind it all off onto the first spool.
But all the mono is for is to stop braid spinning on the spool and so you only need a covering

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I put just enough mono backing to grip the spool then fill the rest with braid, usually about the same strength as the braid. 80lb like some have mentioned is pretty dam heavy so you won't get a huge amount on the reel. If you bought say a 300 m spool and put it directly on the reel, you could then judge how much gap is left to fill with mono. Then wind the braid back onto its plastic spool using a rechargeable drill and put the mono backing on the spinfisher. My thoughts are you won't actually need that much mono, 30-40m of 50-60lb.

When you say everyone is using such heavy braid in your area, have you ever asked why. Braid is not as abrasive as mono and getting snagged in rough ground could damage the rod or reel if you dead pull to try and break out of a snag. If they are using heavy braid because of big fish, well they won't have much braid on the spool after a long cast if it's a fish that pulls line. That reel has a maximum drag of just 11lb, so pretty light and obviously designed that light for a reason.

My own preference from fishing big surf and strong tidal rips is to go as light as possible to reduce the effects from the waves, tide and wind on the line. This makes it easier to hold bottom ( rather than drift into snags) and far easier to detect bites, also gives me plenty of line capacity to tame bigger fish. Fighting any fish with more than 10-14lb drag on beach gear is pretty extreme, many think they do it but in reality very few have ever come close, hence why we use 20lb braid here.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Fishing over snaggy ground here with light line simply doesn't work .I fish in the SW for Huss and eels with 80+lb braid on my slosh 30s ,I would like to fish for these sized fish with light gear,but it just doesn't work. You spend more time setting up gear when you loose it all every cast. Using heavy braid - and in my case on a multi - and 80lb mono leader, I can fish several sessions without loosing even a leader. I don't fill the mark up with dead line and rigs to snag on , I pull for a break on a bit of broom handle and 9/10 bend the hook out the snag ,or snap the 130lb mono trace or weak link to the lead

·
Registered
677 Posts

I didnt bother with mono backing on mine. I chucked spool of braid in the sink/bucket of water. Put the braid on wet under decent tension. Never slipped and cranked in shopping trolleys of kelp, no probs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts