World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- loaded my fixed spool with braid intending to give it a bash for float fishing over rocks, kelp etc. Not sure about the stop knot though, i tried tying it with the same braid ( double grinner knot ) but it was too slack. Tried it with mono but it was rather tight for ajusting (a must), so i went as low as a three turn grinner but after sliding it up to the depth it became loose. The braid is 0.25mm and 22kg bs which may be too thick,but not sure.

Never tried powergum before , is this maybe the answer? not really a braid person so in the dark on this one.
Would appreciate any help or ideas from you all.
Thanks
Findus:g: :g:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Try doubling the braid through a small (3mm) section of silicon rig tubing ( 1mm ).

If that doesn't sort it, then i don't know what will.

Oh & i got some floats today ;)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dave-thought about that one earlier but for some reason never tried it. have got some, so will try experimenting tommorow. Still got plenty lug/rag in the fridge if you want to try out these floats at the wk/end. pm me or geeza bell...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Float stops work well. Think you will find there are a lot on ebay and coarse tackle shops will have them too. I bought a lot from ebay.de. They are gummi or gumi stoppers over there. Much cheaper too or at least they were last year.

John

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

i just use some 10lb mono and tie a 4 turn uni knot over the braid, just tighten it up till you get the grip you want.

I've used this method for years when float fishing near the bottom in 50' of water, so long as you leave the tags on the knot around 2" long they will pass through the eyes of the rod no problem.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I should have added that the nice thing about float stops is that they go through the rings easily, stay in place and can be adjusted easily according to where you are fishing.
I use floating braid and it works well providing there is at least 1/2 oz under the float. I tie a loop in the end of the braid. A swivel to that and then a hook length to the swivel. Nice thing is that it's easy to set up and pack up without any fuss. The loop passes through float and the swivel can be easily attached and detached to that. The float stop needs to be fitted to the braid before the loop is tied after that it just stays on the line. One lasts a long long time. The loop should be small. Just long enough to do the job.
The braid I use is listed on ebay as 25lb from traditional tackle. Expect it to be about 18lb. It handles well. He seems to have put his prices up since last year but is a reliable seller.

John

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Hiya,

i just use some 10lb mono and tie a 4 turn uni knot over the braid, just tighten it up till you get the grip you want.

I've used this method for years when float fishing near the bottom in 50' of water, so long as you leave the tags on the knot around 2" long they will pass through the eyes of the rod no problem.
thats all i do using 15lb mono. its small grips well and doesnt slip or come undone but i still cut my tags as short as if i was putting it on regular mono.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys thats great- got some good ideas there. Have managed to get a 4 turn grinner with 20lb mono to stay and slide as i need. had a practice cast in the garden (no takers) and all is well.
Thanks again for all your help and interest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts