World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
No, not for me.

Reasons are safety, handling big lively species with braid only could end up with some serious hand cuts.

Having some stretch from mono greatly reduces the chances of creating large holes in fishes mouths or tearing off fish ( keeping them on the line). When a fish is close to be landed or traced is when you need a little give in the system.

With my last boat being a air filled tubed boat ( rhib) handling fish alongside the vessel greatly reduced the chances of cuts from braid into the tubes by having a good length of mono topshot.

For actual fish catching here where water visibility is very clear only the most stupid of fish will take the highly vissable braid straight through.

Due to most braids being rather linmp compared to mono they can tangle in surgey washy conditions. Braids can also slice into fishes flesh, something Ive seen on large rays and other species.

This side of the pond I've yet to see anyone use braid straight through, yet in the UK i know it's often a different case.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Been using 30lb straight thro for catching carp and pike and barbel for about 30 years. Never damaged a fish up to 40lbs plus.
Used 60lb straight through on the beach for about 10 years with no problems at all

Den

R

·
0 Posts
Yep... 75lb straight through for me... pro's, better bite detection, allows for longer casting, no faffing on tying a new shockleader with freezing fingers, no stretch & thinner diameter. Con's, can be a ballache to untangle and need to cut the working end regular when fishing the rough stuff!

Edit: forgot to add, the wind catches braid more when casting as does the sea...

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Anyone fishing braid straight through? As in without a shockleader ? Pros? Cons?

Unless fishing over strucure where high chance of lead getting stuck so can wrap it round a piece of soft wood and pull/wind out there's no benefit at all
Far better with decent "Round" 8strand around .20 odd (30lb ish ) with .40 oddish (80lb+ ish) leader.4 strand is tougher than 8 for leader

Straight through braid means using a thicker/heavier to counter lack of 's leader yes but pay for it in shorter distance cast and greater tide pull on line so your loosing benefit of braid really.

As casting line level is dropping quicker so more friction on spool edge and more weight of braid in air while casting plus more prone to side wind etc.
Braid catches more wind and tidal flow v mono as mono is totally smooth as one piece where as braid is made up of strand's so isn't totally smooth

Think of wool or cotton

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all going to spool one in 60lb systema braid and see how it performs compared to the mono&shock set up.
Ill be sure to tape my finger up and order a finger stool from ebay if i decide to stick with the mono :D

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
80% of the anglers fishing the northeast coast are fishing braid straight through. 60lb is the average but if casting short into kelp then up to 90lb is common. Personally i use 20lb with a 100lb leader over clean ground. 30lb with a 100lb leader over mixed ground. 60lb straight through for casting over rough ground. 90lb for lobbing into the serious rough. All the above is on fixed spool reels.
Always use a cut down glove with casting finger left on or finger stall when casting braid. A slip during the cast will result in a serious cut to the bone. Always carry a spare pair of gloves to use when landing a heavy fish. Again trying to hand line with fine with braid can result in serious cuts. If pulling for a break use a piece of wood or something to wrap the braid around. Personally i wrap it 3 times around my arm [over cloths] keeping it away from wrists or bare skin. This i do with line between the spool and first eye and gently pull for the break. Don't do as some do and use the reel to pull for a break. This can bend the shaft on a long cast spool.

·
Registered
762 Posts
with a stiff rod i use a leader to "absorb" the shocks ,
with a progressive one , on clear bottom structure , i don't use a leader
i only cast lures so mainline is relatively thin , depending of species/structure/fishing style
0.10/0.12 mm on the river for asp/zander/trout/perch/etc.
0.16 for pike with small lures (< 12 cm) up to 0.50 mm for casting big lures (< 240 gr)
for the coast , after the silver beauties ,
0.12 mm with leader (to avoid abrasion on sand Bottom) up to 0.16 mm with leader ( to avoid cuts on structure) , since 2 seasons , i use a coated/fused line to avoid it picking up salt/débris/water

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking this whilst on chesil this week. I currently use a 15'9 Penn rampage 2 with a shimano ultegra reel and 15lb asso ultra cast and a tapered shock leader. My question is, could I use say 75lb spiderwite straight through on my mackerel set up?

Would there be any benefits to this set up?

Any drawbacks?

I've never used braid so spiderwire seems to appeal to me but is there better?

Thanks in advance guys:happydance:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts