World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im looking for advice on what leader knot to use to join a twenty lb braid line to a 20 lb tapered mono leader also what knot would you use to attach a swivel to braid your ideas comments are most appreciated thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.
Loads of posts on here about braid and knots
Go to the home page, then click on the tackle section in the band .
Then click on the knots section. J knot is very good but it does take a bit of practice.
I use the Uni knot for most other connections.

YouTube also has some very good instructional style cops on all manner of knots.

Hope that helps, there is a lot of myths regarding braid, and most knots will tie in braid providing they are pulled tight properly.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
What davy said. But give your knot a good tug every ten casts or so as the braid will cut the tapered leader and it's better to snap the link in hands rather than loosing the lot when you get a good fish (I'm dreaming here, more likely a bit of weed or a snag).

I had a brief but expensive daliance with tapered leaders and braid but am back on mono and full strength now.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I use the J Knot,as it was designed for tying braid to mono, or the albright knot, but as both do take some practice and are a bit complicated a double uni will do, heed the advice above about putting lots more turns with the braid, otherwise it will slip

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
The beauty of the double uni is that it's basically two sliding knots that use each other as stops, that way there is nothing for the braid to cut into. The only thing you have to remember is the braid needs double the amount of turns that the mono needs in the knot.. I do 5 turns on the mono and 10 on the braid and to date It's never failed me even on the heavy gear :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i use a uni to uni when using mono to mono didn't realise it could be used with braid seen alot of hype about braid knots but the fact i can use it on braid makes life easy as i got that knot perfected thanks bud

·
Registered
395 Posts
What ever knot used I will coat it in nail varnish and feather it either side of the knot this helps guide through the rings when casting and retrieving. But do make sure it is dry before winding it onto the reel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dan,

Here is another supporter for the double uni.. a very good knot and has not let me down.
The best knot for braid to a swivel is either a trilene or double trilen knot and again never let me down and used for Salmon spinning.
2 other points for you:
1. the leader should have a strength less than the braid
2. never cast with the knot going through the rod eyes as it will eventually cause wear on the tip eye.
Hope that helps
Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.