World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through my fishing cupboard the other day and found I still got 5 full spools of braid left (720m) per spool .
I'm going to bite the bullet and spool a multi with 40lb braid not to thin and not to thick. I will use 70lb braid as shock leader just to use it up. Now first off I will be using a thummy for when retrieving so I don't slice my thumb off lol. Ive been reading reports on here about it and some are getting on just fine with it. I will be setting the multiplier to slowish to start just to get a feel for it. Ive used braid for years on my surfblasters with no trouble at all.
Hopefully put up a report on how I do in the coming weeks. (y)

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Go for it... Good to hear your going to use a thumby. Or your 👍 could become ✊

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely using a thumb stall, my other multiplier is performing beautifully now I sorted the mags , so will be interesting to see how the braid performs to the mono. I'm not a fan of mono with the stretch in it and retrieving over rocks wears it down , ive had braid on an old surfblaster II for over 6 years now and in that time it's only discoloured slightly and still performs perfectly , when I do change it I'll just put the existing line on another spool revealing the new section of line.

·
Registered
Daiwa supercast M11 rods and Slosh 30 reels
1,938 Posts
Hi buddy, I've been using 40lb braid on my Slosh 30s for a few years now when shore fishing with no issues at all.
I use a tapered mono leader 17lb to 70lb which is just my own preference.
Give it a go, sure you'll get on great with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi sparky , thank you for letting me know how you get on with it , can you tell me please if you have ever experienced an overrun and if so how different is it to mono. This has given me even more confidence now to do it . Thanks again.
P.s. Was you down st.brides last Sunday??

·
Registered
Daiwa supercast M11 rods and Slosh 30 reels
1,938 Posts
Hi sparky , thank you for letting me know how you get on with it , can you tell me please if you have ever experienced an overrun and if so how different is it to mono. This has given me even more confidence now to do it . Thanks again.
P.s. Was you down st.brides last Sunday??
Hi fella, no it wasn't me at St Brides.
Got to be honest I've got my reels well dialed in and very very rarely get a nest (oops I've put the mockers on that now)even when night fishing.
Don't think a nest is any worse with braid than mono. The only negative I have found if you can call it a negative is the increased bite detection which really seems to exaggerate the bite when even a small Whiting or dog can really rattle the rod but perhaps that's just me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi fella, no it wasn't me at St Brides.
Got to be honest I've got my reels well dialed in and very very rarely get a nest (oops I've put the mockers on that now)even when night fishing.
Don't think a nest is any worse with braid than mono. The only negative I have found if you can call it a negative is the increased bite detection which really seems to exaggerate the bite when even a small Whiting or dog can really rattle the rod but perhaps that's just me.
Thats one of the reasons I like braid over mono is the bite detection , also when you snag up it comes away better than mono which would often snap. I'm juggling multi's at the moment on which to buy so I might just put it on my slidey.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
So long as the braid isn't super thin spiderwire or the like, I've had no probs atall. 30lb spectra is 0.3 mm (in the ball park for this size of reel) and 75lb spiderwire similar (so great shockleader). Few overruns, similar to mono, but one where the line had gone under itself and was knotted tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts