World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i,m fairly new to boat fishing and considering getting some braid on my reel but i,m not sure what breaking strain i shoulg get ,i was thinking 30lb is this too much ,any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
438 Posts
i use braid on all my boat reels use 20 lb with a mono leader or 30 lb with no leader it is so thin you do not need so mutch weightand it last alot longer than mono

·
Registered
961 Posts
it depends a lot on what type of fishing you are doing. but most occasions you don't need to go over 20lb, unless, say pirking or congering.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ste1950,

30lb, is ideal, but keep your traces to 25lb. Braid is very strong with no stretch, if you snag on a wreck or whatever you will have to pull it free, so as not to loose your braid, use lighter poundage traces. You can also use a weak link on your lead.

If you go Congering use a 25lb trace tied to the top of you Conger trace. This enables you to fish for Conger with the knowledge that if your line snags you will only loose your trace

I personally use 40lb braid with 30lb clear Amnesia on one reel and 50lb braid with 40lb Amnesia on the other. It is all down to preference, each and every one of us does their own thing until we see some other method being used by someone else.

Best of luck,

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
686 Posts
I fish 30lb braid for general boat fishing in Scotland and 20lb for light boat work.

If I fish areas where there is a strong tide and the chance of a decent fish - then I use 40-50lb.....well you just never know ;) :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts