World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought some braid for fishing the banks for bass in the next few months because last time i felt that i didnt quite fish right with the mono because i didnt keep in touch with the bank.

I know that you just put it on your reel like ordinary line but ive heard that you have to have a mono leader and you have to use a special knot can any of you help me because im really confused.

Do you use it over rough ground and wrecks as well as sand????

I also read in Jim Odonells Skipper Journal in (TSF) that there is a time for mono and a time for braid what situations should i use brad in and what situations should i use mono in.

thanks lads
ben

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Bassbuster,,are you using the braid for lure fishing?

Some people do use a mono leader to absorb some of the impact of the fish hitting the lure,,and also it can lead to less"pullouts".
But for me it takes away some of the fun of lure fishing with braid.
You feel every shake of the smallest fishes head with braid and the "thump" you feel when the fish hits the lure can be heartstopping.
Hope this helps bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
438 Posts
hi bassbuster i use braid all of the time it is better over reefs sand banks for spinning any thing i tryd mono last saterday i was glad to go back to braid i did use amono leader but no more

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Have any of you guys ever had problems with braid cutting into and damaging the fish at all during the fight? I have never had this problem myself, but have heard of it from other anglers on many occasions. Perhaps the mono leader ensures the fish can be returned unharmed. I know in the carp world rig tubing is used to mask the braid for this very reason.

Arct...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Arc,,
I`ve been using braid when pike fishing for years and can honestly say that I have never seen a fish with an injury that could have been caused by braid.
Saying that though,,pike aren`t rollers when they come to the net in the way that some big carp do.
I thing the carp lads use the tubing more as an anti-tangle method rather than to protect the fish.

Just one mans experience bud,
Terry F.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
I still use braid for low depth stuff, spinning and general work. Braid comes into its own in deep water as you don't need as much lead to keep it knocking bottom. Braid is great for wreck fishing but I wouldn't use it for redgilling, non stretch can be a bit of a nightmare with a high impact strike and run that a big pollack can produce. I also have to say that braid is excellent for drift fishing over sand it really does help in bite detection.

Braid for shore fishing, well, I don't use it and stick to mono. Braid tends to parachute on long casts and I don't really like it for shore fishing or for bass fishing either. Its worth remembering that if you can feel more through the braid then so can the fish. The little bit of elasticity in the mono can help you catch more fish than you realise as the fish doesnt feel anything different until it is pretty much hooked. Where with braid the none stretch properties do mean the fish can feel more. A mono shock leader can help somewhat on this.

It also needs to be mentioned that when using braid don't strike too hard into a fish and try to play it more gentle than you would with mono. No stretch can cause problems when fighting fish and many people have been known to lose fish by ripping the hook out of the fish, so its one thing to keep in mind.

Just my personal thoughts but Jimbo is right, mono has its place in some situations and braid has its use in others.

Happy Fishing

Mike Jr

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Terry, MikeJr,

What are your preferred knots with braid for:
1. Hooks, swivels etc.
2. Braid to mono

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Archtechnic, for hooks & swivels I use the "mono knot", & for joining braid to mono I use a double "Uni knot", hope this helps.
blueskip

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thanks Blueskip, all help and advice is very much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Same as Blue, Arc.
You will need a special pair of braid scisssors for trimming off.
Weird things they are,,they dont appear to have an edge on them,but normal scissors will not cut braid at all.
Also,,watch your fingers when pulling tight.

All the best bud,
Terry F. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ive always been told whilst wreck fishing never use braid.the reason for this is that many big wreck fish such as big pollack,big cod and conger eels make dives when near to the boat ,with mono the line would just strecth and adsorb head shakes but with the braid it doesnt,this could mean a snap off or a hook pull.

thanks

rh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts