World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an experienced user of braid.

I've got a couple of mangles with 50lb power pro on, that I put on light rods for sole fishing, but they don't get used much.

Anyway, on multi's, I'm thinking the 66lb power pro would be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

Does it cast ok? I can cast btw lol

Can you get 'bulk' spools? The searches I've done mostly lead me to American websites.

Also, the stuff I've used is green, but I like using coloured lines in the dark. Is it worth sourcing some of the red or yellow, or do they just discolour with use?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Why do you want to use 66lb?
I use braid all the time in mixed to rough ground. 9 times out of 10 I use 15kg, it's only when there's a few more snags or heavy kelp that I use heavier. Then the 20kg usually does the job. I have heavier but it rarely sees the light of day tbh.
Get your set up sorted, decent reel and correctly rung rod and you will be amazed at what it can do.
Braid washes out a little but does tend to keep its colour. Red becomes pinkish, I find buying powerpro on 500yd spools is more cost effective, you can keep backing it up or reversing it when you lose a little. On a 300yd spool if you lose a bit, it's good for the bin.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a challenge, and I'm thinking of going on a mission to catch a skate off the shore.

I'm not sure 15-20kg would cut it, and I'd rather not take a chance on breaking off on a specimen and leaving it trailing a hook and trace.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
OK that explains why!! If using a mangle best advice I can give is pack it on the reel as tight as possible. Watch out for knots pulling, braid does slip even if knotted well and pulled up with pliers! Good luck on the expedition, sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't be using a mangle mate, but I've never used braid on a multi.

I want to be sure everything is right before I start racking up the miles

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I need a challenge, and I'm thinking of going on a mission to catch a skate off the shore.

I'm not sure 15-20kg would cut it, and I'd rather not take a chance on breaking off on a specimen and leaving it trailing a hook and trace.
What would you normally use on your muti ie braking strain mono? to catch a good skate

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0.35mm. Sakuma that's rated 18lb

Most of my fishing around here(Norfolk) is geared towards maximum distance, and a double figure fish is a rarity.

·
Premium Member
15,992 Posts
For Skate I'd go for the 88lb at .42mm that's what I use for rough ground on my multi's. you'll be casting bigger baits and weights so there's less chance of it digging in! what multi. will you be using?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup.

I don't think my 7HT mags will be man enough somehow.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Though I don't get skate I do hook (accidentally) hook large eagle and common black bull rays. The black Ray's can reach well over 300kg and if they head for the horizon from the shore there's not much you can do but lock up to break them off (hopefully at the terminal end).

I rarely use line above 20lb braid from the shore mainly because it's so hard to break when using decent joins. Being able to hold more line on the reel is way more important than its strength on big fish, besides there's no beach rod or reel you could use more than around 12 lb of drag with in my opinion (try it).

We have no problems getting 6ft wide rays to the shore and big sharks, not that we target them.

Not that there's any reason not to use heavy braid, my point is you can't pull any harder with a beach outfit on 20 lb or 100 lb.

Good luck, hope to see or hear of a successful catch soon.

JonD

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Hi buddy,
You will be fine with either that 66lb or that 88lb.

I just used Bleak Hall Power Pro from eBay. Here -
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bleak-Hall...p4634.c0.m322&clk_rvr_id=579595266323&afsrc=1

I did not worry too much about paying that price, as it lasts years (unlike mono).

The 66lb is actually 49lb US rated, and for fishing. So will break before 50lb amnesia, but after 40lb.
Guessing the 88lb might be over 60lb, so allow use of snoods of that?

I use white or yellow PP. Tried green and changed it. As you say, pain in the arse not being able to see your line even as it comes out of tip ring, especially at night.

Does a Saltist have MC? If so, up the brake setting.
If brake blocks, maybe put bigger ones in?
Braid sits denser on spool, and it takes some slowing.

Cast smooth, and be ready with thumb casting big baits into wind.
Start slow and easy on field.
And, be wary of weed in water. Only had that when using mono, but I would not like to deal with that on braid!

Enjoy,
Ben

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi buddy,
You will be fine with either that 66lb or that 88lb.

I just used Bleak Hall Power Pro from eBay. Here -
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bleak-Hall...p4634.c0.m322&clk_rvr_id=579595266323&afsrc=1

I did not worry too much about paying that price, as it lasts years (unlike mono).

The 66lb is actually 49lb US rated, and for fishing. So will break before 50lb amnesia, but after 40lb.
Guessing the 88lb might be over 60lb, so allow use of snoods of that?

I use white or yellow PP. Tried green and changed it. As you say, pain in the arse not being able to see your line even as it comes out of tip ring, especially at night.

Does a Saltist have MC? If so, up the brake setting.
If brake blocks, maybe put bigger ones in?
Braid sits denser on spool, and it takes some slowing.

Cast smooth, and be ready with thumb casting big baits into wind.
Start slow and easy on field.
And, be wary of weed in water. Only had that when using mono, but I would not like to deal with that on braid!

Enjoy,
Ben
That's brilliant info.

Thanks very much. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.