World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Imho Uk boat fishing does not need a longer shock leader (like trolling) nor a wind-on strength leader (like game fishing) so i use a circa 4foot fluoro leader and change it when it gets down to 1 - 2feet (from rig changes).

Basically i use a short rubbing leader, with the benefit of fluoro 'invisibility'.

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
I like to have at least six feet of leader between the rod end and the top of my trace,plus a few turns of leader on the reel the only reason is that I like the skipper or crewman to be able to grab the mono leader when boating a decent fish, the mono is much kinder on their hands , and less likley to part on the hull of the boat than thin braid.

Dave

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Having a longer leader protects the braid which is not very abrasive resistant and as mentioned above I would much rather be grabbing the leader than the braid, you will also find that if you get tangled with another line, if you have a longer leader then trust me, mono is a lot easier to untangle than braid

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Uptide casting - As Steveh24 has said, 50-80lb shock leader depending on lead+bait weight and how much you're giving it some (also rod bend too).

Downtide
* drifting - Anything from 2-10ft
* anchored - 50-80lb rubbing leader (5ft) then either crimped 120lb mono or wire bite trace for conger/rough skinned. With a ray - longer 50lb leader.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thxs for reply Nick some good advice will do that next Time on boat will be fishing 2rods 1 uptide and 1 down tide on the boat rod and will let u know how get on thxs DELLBOY67.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I usually just use the length of my rod and a few turns like said

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
im the same 30lb or 50lb straight through. never had any problems. i do tend to cut 6ft or so of every now and again. most skippers seem to like you to use a nylon leader though.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
im the same 30lb or 50lb straight through. never had any problems. i do tend to cut 6ft or so of every now and again. most skippers seem to like you to use a nylon leader though.
Yeah, easier on the hands when you bring something in.. if they loop it around their hands (bad practice) and the fish pulls hard then it may cut to the bone.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, easier on the hands when you bring something in.. if they loop it around their hands (bad practice) and the fish pulls hard then it may cut to the bone.
Only cuts girly soft english hands, I have seen crew in Panama regularly pull jigs out of reefs or pull for the break off with 80lb braid wrapped round their bare hands and they do not get cuts!

I always use a nylon leader of about 12-15ft to -
a) Give that little bit of stretch / give instead of no stretch at all as this cushions the fight and reduces chances of the hook pulling out.
b) to give a rubbing leader when fishing over rocks or near wrecks. When under pressure braid cuts through very very easily if it rubs on rock or metal work
c)To help lift a big fish aboard - I do have girly soft english hands

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have stopped using a nylon leader but only fish on my own boat. I got fed up with weed collecting on the knot and sometimes the knot being reluctant to go through the top eye. Not sure why you need to take hold of line when netting a fish?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.