World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 50lbs braid and as i have never used it before is ther a certain way to put it on my reel?

G

·
Hi Alan

Welcome to WSF.

Assuming you have a small / medium amount (less than 300m) spool of line then try the following.

Load the reel about 2/3 full of normal mono as you would normally.
Join the mono to the braid (someone help with a diagram of a braid / mono knot) and the tightly wind on te braid exactly as you would mono.
When I say tightly, this is important otherwise it can bed down on itself and jam up.
Get to within a couple of mm of the lip of the spool and the add a 5m or so mono leader using the same briad knot that I hope someone else will be able to show you a picture of (describing it is complex).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct knot, but I'm sure there is one on the site somewhere. Click here.

G

·
That knot won't work, but the albright knot is I think the one I use.
In the animation, the blue line is the braid and I (probably excessively) wrap around about 15 times.

·
Banned
7 Posts
That knot won't work, but the albright knot is I think the one I use.
In the animation, the blue line is the braid and I (probably excessively) wrap around about 15 times.
Loop the braid to double the braid before knotting it and use a double UNI knot to join braid to mono. It is an exceptionaly strong knot. The single UNI with the braid doubled is great for swivels etc.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cheers Tom,
wasn't sure if it was the right one as I've yet to be converted to Braid ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
To save wasting braid and time, I was told to load the braid onto a spare spool first, then fill up with mono, Then rerwind onto your other spool, seems a long way round, but the number of times I have put backing on then main line ( mostly fly line I admit ) only to find I need more / less backing, so off it all comes again. This method means wind on once and you know you have enough on the spool.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ive started to use the albright knot this year for mono to braid,its tidy quick and simple and havnt had a problem so far:yeah:

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
To save wasting braid and time, I was told to load the braid onto a spare spool first, then fill up with mono, Then rerwind onto your other spool, seems a long way round, but the number of times I have put backing on then main line ( mostly fly line I admit ) only to find I need more / less backing, so off it all comes again. This method means wind on once and you know you have enough on the spool.
Thats the way I was shown too, a great way to do it....:):)

Also, The Allbright knot is the one I use as well, and its a good knot for casting too.....BTW, Its also the one that Powerpro recommend :):)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Whilst we're talking about braid, has anyone got an opinion of it's life expectancy in use?
We all know that mono can be affected by UV light and gradualy deteriorates over time, but what about braid.
I ask because I have heard of one season old braid just snapping for no apparant reason. And I don't mean on a knot, it has been snapping on the main run of line at several different points.

Afishionado

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only thing I have against the Allbright knot is that it sometimes catches on the top ring when reeling in. If it catches too often it will come undone. To avoid this, dip the rod tip just as the knot is coming through.
A better knot is the one that's used to join a beachcasting shockleader to the mainline, again using the braid doubled. I'm sure Neil MacKellow has one of those on his site.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Whilst we're talking about braid, has anyone got an opinion of it's life expectancy in use?
We all know that mono can be affected by UV light and gradualy deteriorates over time, but what about braid.
I ask because I have heard of one season old braid just snapping for no apparant reason. And I don't mean on a knot, it has been snapping on the main run of line at several different points.

Afishionado
You do get the (very) occasional bad spool of braid ; sometimes it can have 2 or 3 weak points in 300 yards, and you won't see or feel them as loading it on or winding it back in.
Not even (usually) if using a magnifying glass or (jeweller's) loop to examine closely.

It is very unusual nowadays.

braids only enemies are cracked/chipped rod rings, abrasion (on the seabed or hull, or another line) and heat ... including heat caused by friction.
I don't know if heat (up to 60 degrees C) from leaving it under the windscreen of a car on a hot, sunny day is hot enough.

It is not worried by UV light, "wet oxidation" or any other things that make mono deteriorate . Some people have had braid on their reels for 8 or more years (perhaps as backing, so it is not getting worn) and say it is still good.

Now here's a question I've asked before:-
If you suspect there may be one or two weak points anywhere in several hundred yards of new braid, what's the easiest way to test the whole length (to find out if you are right) ?
assume that any weak spot will be much weaker.

G

·
I used braid for the first time uptiding last season and it was snapping every other cast midway - got right on my nads! no problem reeling in any weight etc, took it back to the shop to complain and the guy run a very sharp scalpol around my fujis and found a hairline crack invisible to the naked eye! presto

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
I used braid for the first time uptiding last season and it was snapping every other cast midway - got right on my nads! no problem reeling in any weight etc, took it back to the shop to complain and the guy run a very sharp scalpol around my fujis and found a hairline crack invisible to the naked eye! presto

Hiya, I carry a few cotton buds to check the rod rings...the wool sticks in all the cracks.....:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts