World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm if it is safe just to use 70lb braid on my fixed spool reel and not have to use shock leader!

ive just been reading in aprils tsf and they say its right. but im not 100% sure if im reading it right. Also is there any pro's and con's to just using braid!!

cheers Stu:g:

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
in theory you could as long as your not using a stiff rod and powerful cast. having no stretch a sudden shock could snap it. a leader is used as a buffer agains the shock of a sudden, hard cast.

i use 20lb fireline and happily cast 3oz with it.

but. i,m using a carp rod with a through action and an overhead cast.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've used 50lb fireline on a abu 7000 with no problems .
70lb on a fixed spool no problem bite detection is excellent once you've tried it you'll probably never go back to mono.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I now use 65lb braid on my 7000 for the real rough stuff at short range with no problems.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
pro: convenience and no leader knot to collect weed
con: gets worn by the seabed - especially the last couple of yards. On a fixed-spool it could hurt your finger if you cast hard and don't use protection

I've got a friend who has been using 50lb braid "straight through" on fixed spools for several years and he has just started adding about 6 feet on mono on the end when fishing over "coral" (tubeworms at Black Rock, Clevedon). The fact he's only putting 6 feet on illustrates it is not for casting - just for taking the abrasion.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Make sure the fixed spool drag is tight. Any slip during casting and it's sore!
As has already been said 'always wear protection'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts