World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Braid

517 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hibbdogg 
#1 ·
Hi guys what in your opinion is the best braid for this job. Fishing over rough ground for cod maybe the odd wreck aswell. Will be also used for tope in the summer. Im looking for somthing around the 40lb breaking strain. Thanks all:)

#7 ·
Do you need to back braid always?the reel i have is a penn 975 ld (dont think the spool is very big at all compared to some/most boat reels. i wont be fishing in real deep water i think the depest it gets is 80ft ish. Will i be ok buying 300yards?

#8 ·
Do you need to back braid always?the reel i have is a penn 975 ld (dont think the spool is very big at all compared to some/most boat reels. i wont be fishing in real deep water i think the depest it gets is 80ft ish. Will i be ok buying 300yards?
Yes you need some backing, as the braid doesn't stretch it can just spin around the spool if you don't put something on to give it some grip, just cover the spool with a couple of layers of mono, and you'll be fine. If the max depth you are going to fish is 80 foot, then I reckon that 900 feet of braid should be ok :blink:

#10 ·
Yes you need some backing, as the braid doesn't stretch it can just spin around the spool if you don't put something on to give it some grip, just cover the spool with a couple of layers of mono, and you'll be fine. If the max depth you are going to fish is 80 foot, then I reckon that 900 feet of braid should be ok

this did happen to 2 of my mates .got new reels and loaded them with braid . took them back to the shop saying that they were faulty. when they were told what the problem was they said they felt like proper prats. easy mistake to make though,i bet its been done 100s of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.