World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Never used braid but i have ordered a boat reel and was wondering if there is a certain braid i should get.
Heard of Dynabraid and Spiderwire, whats the difference between braids and what's best.:g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Berkley Whiplash is good as it is very fine for its breaking strain. i have used it before for spinning and light wreck work. I have recently put some of the new Berkley Fireline Crystal on my light boat reel, and although havent used it must say that it looks very good as it is almost transparent clear.

·
Registered
477 Posts
To add to the earlier post, some braids are flat, some are round, and some are coated. Powerpro is a nice round cross section, and very very thin for it's strength.

From what I remember spiderwire is coated which makes it thicker for a given strength (though still thinner than an equivalent mono).

And if I remember correctly dynabraid just ain't as round as they claim, certainly I've found that dynabraid of 50lbs has cut my skin far easier than even 30lb powerpro which seems a bit odd.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rite so power plus it is:) , What breaking strength? will be mostly boat fishing at Loch Etive

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
been using , dynon 2000 and 3000 for nearly ten years and cant fault it , i use it on all my fishing:notworthy :notworthy , except beachcasting :g: , used a few others to see what they were like fireline not great did,nt like it:yucky: :yucky: and whiplash extremely thin but when under load the slightest touch by another line /boat /bottom/ bang its away!!, i,ve lost skate and good tope this way!!:giveup: if your just useing it for etive 30lb is great :clap3:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Categories of braid:-
1/ standard
2/ tightly braided or fine strands
3/ jigging braid (very tightly braided, slightly stiff)
4/ fused (no braiding)
5/ braided and then fused or polymer-coated
6/ MCT (micro core technology - outer tight braid fused to core)

1/ flat or round cross-section WaveblasterDynabraid, Climax ordinary, Ron Thompson, Shimano Antares

2/ nearly-flat or round cross-section Sundance (Roger Bayzand), Whiplash, Daiwa Accudepth(some people may think this belongs in 3), Jerry Brown "line one" hollow, spiderwire, some of the Varivas braids, some Climax braids

3/ (expensive!) round cross-section Varivas Avani GT, YGK,

4/ roughly round cross-section PowerPro, Fireline, Jerry Brown "line one" solid

5/ Tuff Line PRT, spiderwire stealth, Sufix Herculine , some others I can't remember

6/ Dynon MCT, another line out in the last year or two (that I'll remember later)

IF you name a make, I can probably tell you which category it falls into.

Discussing the advantages and drawbacks of each category could take a new topic.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys,
I purchased powerpro 300 yards (red) 30lb, Very Very thin.
Now i need to wait for my reel to arrive:whistling then am hopefully off to etive on the boat.:boat:

P.s should i load the braid straight onto reel or should i put some mono on first:g:
Ive never put braid on b4:g: so keep me rite guys.:thumbs:

·
Registered
477 Posts
definitely some mono first, quite a good layer of it. Otherwise you'll find that the braid just spins on the spool :)

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Cheers guys,
I purchased powerpro 300 yards (red) 30lb, Very Very thin.
Now i need to wait for my reel to arrive:whistling then am hopefully off to etive on the boat.:boat:
One word of warning.. keep your braid away from the mouths of Spurdog.. their teeth are far far better at cutting braid than any braid scissors available.. even a 1lb pup can cleanly cut 120lb braid without trying :(

P.s should i load the braid straight onto reel or should i put some mono on first:g:
Ive never put braid on b4:g: so keep me rite guys.:thumbs:
I back up the reel with mono first then fill it up with braid.. .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I bought a spool of 300 yards of Berkley fireline 20lb, test 8lb equivalent coated braid. I thought it would be good for beach casting. It isn't, it delaminated after two trips use and I ended up at Orford Island at night with a huge birdie on a F/S reel.

It is probably excellent for boat fishing or up-tiding but not for beach-casting. For that it has to be mono.

·
Registered
477 Posts
powerpro is great for beach casting.

Used 50lb straight through for years in heavy kelp areas.

Cuts through the heavy stuff nicely - casts great :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
certainly is :D (wish I'd got shares in the company that makes it - I'm going to start charging 'em for my recommendations)

I use 30lb for spinning for pollack. Casts brilliantly.

Can you tell I am a BIG FAN of PowerPro :D

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Is powerpro any good for spinning?
Yup I use 28lb for my Pollacking on a fixed spool.. tis superb. You do however have to make sure that you always wind it back on the spool under tension.. if you wind it on slack you will get a tangle the next cast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts