World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to get Abu Fibre blocks, tried Rutherfords and their out of stock, also blocks for Akios CTM's ( tried emailing Akios but no reply )

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
If you are a hoarder, and have the thin hollow carbon fibre or fibreglass tip section of a broken rod, cut off small sections, sand to length and remove any bits that would stop them moving freely on the bars, and they make great brake blocks, dont wear much , amd are free.

Dave

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick Google search and I found 4 places selling them
Have seen these, but was hoping someone would come up with a more reasonable priced option, £10 for two tiny blocks posted is extortion, Rutherfords were charging 60p each ! could of had ten plus postage cheaper !

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Have seen these, but was hoping someone would come up with a more reasonable priced option, £10 for two tiny blocks posted is extortion, Rutherfords were charging 60p each ! could of had ten plus postage cheaper !
Arr fair enough.
Can you not use the plastic from a pen biro?
It did the job for me a few years back

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh , could do Bazzer, but the fibre ones are back up for the ones in my Fathoms, it's amazing how such a tiny piece of carbon could cost so much ! as much as a diamond !

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
For the benefit of the unenlightened .... the trade price for a block from ABU is now considerably more than 60p (and made from glass fibre not carbon) ... and having made my own in the past I can tell you they are a right pain to make so it will be labour that decides on the price. They are always going to cost more to post than they cost to buy and the retailer is going to get charged more by the bank to collect the payment than he'll ever make out of them. If your that bothered get yourself some tube and make them yourself ... but be aware its a messy business and they are difficult to keep an even size.

·
Registered
19,956 Posts
Where is the best place to get Abu Fibre blocks, tried Rutherfords and their out of stock, also blocks for Akios CTM's ( tried emailing Akios but no reply )
:) If I remember rightly, years ago, the plastic bits on Breakaway wires were used as spare ABU break blocks. Is it different now? ;)

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
I got Shimano one's if you're interested and work just as well inside a fathom? Hit me with a pm. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts