World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok sharky ppl can i get away with adding fine sawdust and some beach sand to my rubby dubby / chum ?

As i can get both for free ?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i don't see why not but for the sake of £11 for 20kg sack i wouldn't risk it. If it doesn't work or even work as well then you may waste a lot more money in fuel!
we just done 2 days sharking and used less than half a sack so £5 worth. In the grand scheme of things that cost in minuscule when spending £20 for a couple of traces.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Myself I would consider which is least harmful to the environment, which in my opinion would be bran.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
how did you work that out then ? bran is man made both wood and sand natural is it not ?
Bran is a food source where everything is edible hence not bad for the environment. Wood saw dust can contain additives and preservatives like stain or varnish etc etc which is a toxin !!

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
how did you work that out then ? bran is man made both wood and sand natural is it not ?
Can you eat wood? Are you a termite:Oo:

They both may be natural but neither are naturally found in the marine environment. They are processed by us.

Personaly I wouldn't be putting either into the ocean, neither are part of fishes natural diet. Do yourself a little experiment and eat a bowl of sawdust.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Bran is a food source where everything is edible hence not bad for the environment. Wood saw dust can contain additives and preservatives like stain or varnish etc etc which is a toxin !!

Copied from a science journal report.

University of British Columbia professor Dr. Sheldon Duff (Faculty of Applied Science, Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering) sees a strong downside to dumping sawdust.

But of larger concern, says Duff, are substances such as lignins and fatty acids that protect trees from predators while they are alive, but can leach into water and poison wildlife. "Those types of things remain in the tree and, as the tree decays, they slowly get broken down," says Duff. "But when you're processing a whole large volume of wood and large concentrations of these materials get out into the runoff, they cause toxicity and are toxic to a broad range of organisms."

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Not quite sure where sand off the beach isn't naturally occuring in the water? It is a natural product of erosion and on a beach, below high water mark is under the water at high tide anyway?

I use bran as it absorbs oils and blood quite nicely, easy to store and use and as dicky says, not expensive. 20kg is a snortin great big lot by volume!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not quite sure where sand off the beach isn't naturally occuring in the water? It is a natural product of erosion and on a beach, below high water mark is under the water at high tide anyway?

I use bran as it absorbs oils and blood quite nicely, easy to store and use and as dicky says, not expensive. 20kg is a snortin great big lot by volume!

im trying to get some local now. think wifey will be pissed if i use her bran flakes lol

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Find a farm supplies or animal food wholesaler. They will probably have 2kg bags on a shelf at about £2.50 each but if you ask them they will have a 20kg sack out the back.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
By the way, I did used to fish a lot for sharks from the IOW, never used anything but fish scraps as burley. I picked mine up free from a local fish resaler that supplied to fish shops, they had a big biffa bin and a large plastic shovel which I scooped the scraps into 20lt plastic tubs.

Even 30+ years ago I didn't put unnatural things into the environment, I also used and still do floats that don't breakaway and remain in the ocean, they release and stay attached to the line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts