World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you have the same problem as me with these boxes. I have two beta boxes and a big leeda one. All have a breakaway conversion on the back, the one that allows you to carry them like a backpack.
All of the conversions were fitted before I bought them. Whenever I go fishing with these boxes they ALWAYS destroy my hips and all organs containd within. Its so bad that I now don't even try the harness, I just carry the box with one strap only. :yucky:
I am on the verge of trading these in for something like the Shakespeare Sherpa or the Anyfish Boxpak. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem? And if not, any opinions on which of the strap setups is best? :giveup:
Also, I already have a rucksack, but sometimes prefer a box.
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Have you got the straps pulled tight when your carrying it?On mine the straps sometimes slide a bit loose and it becomes uncomfortable as the weight is pulling away from my back and digging in above my hips-they need to be pulled tight so the weight is as close to your spine as possible.Also try and load the box so that the heaviest items are at the back of the box because the further the centre of gravity is from your body the more awkward it will feel to carry.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have the Team Box with Conversion. I have found you have to adjust the height of the backrest on the conversion to make the whole assembly half comfortable. That adjustment raises or lowers the box on your back - too low and it really hurts the hips, etc.

As others have suggested try padding the back rest.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
aye i found pulling the straps very tight helps alot, it keeps box up away from hips better, but then the shoulders get the marks lol..canni win,

i will be trying what the others have said too and use some kind off foam lagging im sure that may make a big difference.

andy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I posted this on a similar thread a while back and thought it may be some use. Try it as it really works.

Had mine 6 years and still going strong, very well made. I found the bottom bit used to dig in my hips a bit as previously mentioned, especially when heavily loaded as it flexes the bottom backrest out shape. I found that if you glue or/and screw a spacer to the box behind the rest it keeps its shape and stops it flexing, It makes it a lot more comfortable. A peice of old broom handle around 2-3 inches long will do it.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
make sure the adjustable/sliding backrest is tight down. put the box on your back. lean foreward and pull the straps down tight. this will make the box sit higher on your back, away from your love handles. some pals tie there smock or jacket around there wait while walking to take the sting out.

its mainly because of this i have just got a anyfish anywhere box pack. much more comfortable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm 6'5 and 17 stone i pull the straps as tight as i can get um, its good for me , i also changed my bos from a team to a beta , a team is to big you dont need to be carring all that gear around anyway, pack your box properly and you will halvethe gear in it, all you need is 2 reels, a few sinkers, a couple of rig wallets a bits and bobs box, bait and sarnies and hey presto half the gear, and half the effort

cheers glen

L

·
0 Posts
Agree with the above - tie a jumper or jacket around you waist and the box sits on that - takes 90% of the pain away!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice guys!
I will be trying all the tips this weekend on a test run. Hopefully it will work, but to be honest I have lost a bit of confidence in it.
I agree the setup is very durable and a great idea, but if so many people have problems with them wouldn't you think Breakaway would do something with the design, to make it a bit more comfortable? :g:
I'm not trying to knock Breakaway, I love most of their products and a fair chunk of my wage goes to them every month.
Again, thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you thought of trying a rucksack such as the Titan Matchman's? They're much more comfortable to carry and I find them easier to work out of than a box - though you can't sit on them! There's a larger one available and Titan have a sale on at present.

Alternately you can buy then here at Ebay:

Item no 290110946741

Its not my listing and I don't know the guy but he has permission from Titan to sell their stuff on Ebay and I've bought from him before. Anyhow it's a bargain even at the Buy It Now price and it might be worth your giving it a try.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
I THINK WE ALL MAKE THE MISTAKE,CARRYING KIT WE DONT NEED! LAST WEEKEND I WENT FOR A LONG WALK TO A LOCAL MARK BY THE TIME I GOT THERE BACK WAS KILLING!!!!! THE BOTTOM SUPPORT ON MY BREAKAWAY WAS DIGGING INTO MY KIDNEYS.MY FAULT I HAD NEARLY 45lb OF KIT IN IT,40lb I DIDNT NEED!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I THINK WE ALL MAKE THE MISTAKE,CARRYING KIT WE DONT NEED! LAST WEEKEND I WENT FOR A LONG WALK TO A LOCAL MARK BY THE TIME I GOT THERE BACK WAS KILLING!!!!! THE BOTTOM SUPPORT ON MY BREAKAWAY WAS DIGGING INTO MY KIDNEYS.MY FAULT I HAD NEARLY 45lb OF KIT IN IT,40lb I DIDNT NEED!

That sounds familiar mate:blink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts