World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very colourful sunset session on Chesil last night. Chucking various metals but the SG Sandeel 19g was the only one that produced. Couple of small Pollock that went back and this lovely Mackie that didn't. LOL.
Had two more Mackies that annoyingly shed the hook in the backwash but this one is filleted and ready for the pan.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
That is a stunning sunset. How awesome is nature. Well done on squaring breakfast, enjoy mate

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike. For an idea of scale that's a 4000 size reel next to it - a proper fish.!
Probably be trying for a couple more tonight as it's only 10mins walk to Chesil from where we're staying - mind you it's 20mins going back all uphill (Fortuneswell).
How are the piers fishing as I'll be LRFing over the next few days as well?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd put two shrimp style feathers up the line from the metal lure - then if you make contact with a little shoal it's lunch as well as breakfast :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd put two shrimp style feathers up the line from the metal lure - then if you make contact with a little shoal it's lunch as well as breakfast :)
Don't really want 2 or 3 fish a time on a lightish lure rod though!
If I'm desperate I'll throw a string of feathers on a big rod but I prefer to fish light and enjoy the fight.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't really want 2 or 3 fish a time on a lightish lure rod though!
If I'm desperate I'll throw a string of feathers on a big rod but I prefer to fish light and enjoy the fight.
Fair point. Good luck with your next session. I'm off out right now to cast a fly on my local loch in the far north, also looking to enjoy a fight.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night was like groundhog day, 2 small Pollock, 1 mackie then 2 lost!
Did see something leap out of the water, sea trout maybe?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely not a Gar Mike, wrong shape! It leapt high enough to see it clearly but too dark to see exactly what species. I've heard of sea trout being caught around chesil cove before but I'll never know for certain what it was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, stunning evening and great looking fish!
I was considering chesil as a nice spot to try out some of my deeper diving lures like the rapala J11 /13. I’m presuming it’s not very weedy due to the high exposure and rubble substrate?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FishGeek, think you'll still find some kelp about but you'd have to be fishing deep. Chesil Cove has a bit but it also has rougher ground compared to the rest of the beach nearby. The cleaner ground starts in front of the Cove House Inn and going West.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FishGeek, think you'll still find some kelp about but you'd have to be fishing deep. Chesil Cove has a bit but it also has rougher ground compared to the rest of the beach nearby. The cleaner ground starts in front of the Cove House Inn and going West.
Great to know, thanks 🙏
You mentioned the SG sandeel hitting the spot. Was that just a cast and retrieve technique? I’ve read that they’re also quite good as weedless lures and/or working the ground for bass and wrasse deeper down if not taking on or near the surface. I’ve tried this with the Fiish weedless lures but the heads for scuffed up pretty quickly. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FG, I was using the Sandeel Pencil thingy hard lure which is a subsurface fast[ish] retrieve lure. I've used the Fiish Black Minnows there as well and the heads will scuff up as will any metal jighead, lure or weight that gets bumped over the bottom there. Best Fiish head is the shore version as the eye is further forward which prevents it digging into the rocks as much as the other heads do. Far fewer lure losses use something like ZMan as they're tougher and I pair them up with Cheb weights. Main retrieve is either sink and draw or little hops and runs on the bed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts