World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I cant give an epic write up for this adventure but I took rink and my Dad (reffered to further on as the pensioners :wheelchai) out for the day. We wanted something nice and comfortable after nealry losing the pensioners to Llanbadrig :spiteful: The only good thing was that none of the spawny kids and women were there (sorry Gina and Ryan LOL)
We stopped off at Malcs for the pre-ordered rag and ventured up to HHBW.
It was windy very windy but we managed to set ourselves up by the green light for about 2pm. Knowing that the tide didnt turn till 3.30 I decided to get a brew on while the pensioners tackled up. Plan for me was a rod at distance with a full squid on, then my 6ft shooting stick armed with some sabikis close in. First fish fell to my dad however I am very doubtful he saw anything that resembled a bite

and when he threw the poor bugger back I think he ended up by the lighthouse LOL
the distance rod was not showing anything even with such wonderful presentation as this

I would have eaten it!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seemed to be the close in sabikis proved all my sport throughout the day and straight away wrasse up to 1lb started to give mesome great sport on such light gear however unless someone can tell me otherwise I only managed to add a Shanny with the rest just being Ballen and Corkwing Wrasse

close up of the spot I was intrigued with!

As the tide got in and the light fell, out come the lobster pots for a bit of fun, and amongst the rockling and prawns we hadalot of Edible Crab which must be a good thing for the local potters however not knowing the crab laws and sizes all were returned safely, Im just curious to see whats down there however them prawns did llok good enough to eat, any suggestions LOL

the fishing didnt pick up once darkness came and even the 15 man comp further up the breakie seemed to have struggled to land anything. I was also shocked at the lack of doggies!!!!.
Towards the close rink managed a whiting and rockling but these were to be the last and we packed up for 12am for the 120mile treck back.

There was a group of guys fishing below me who mentioned fishing for bass from the inside of the breakie but I dont think I have ever seen a report of that happening, has anyone else??
It will be sad if Stenna decide to close the breakie because of rubbish, however Icannot see a way forward. Maybe a very small charge (£1/£2) to fish/gain access to it which in turn can be spent on bins/wheelie bins and a council collection maybe, however I am not a local and I have no right to comment really.

Untill next time, Tight Lines

John

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Cracking report even if the fishing wasnt top notch . That is a shanny you have. And i have never heard of a bass of the break, and my mate who's fished it , since he was a kid , plus probably hundreds of matches there and he's never heard of a bass from there either , not even a tiddler !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cracking report even if the fishing wasnt top notch . That is a shanny you have. And i have never heard of a bass of the break, and my mate who's fished it , since he was a kid , plus probably hundreds of matches there and he's never heard of a bass from there either , not even a tiddler !
I thought that might be the case mate, imagine the amount of people that would congregate on there if ONE was caught LOL. And thanks on the Shanny confirmation, I will add that to the list.

that looks like a monster rockling!!!
Nooooooo dont say that rink will bloody read it LOL, I put it down to excellent camera work.

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shanny's are pretty hard to hook, there mouths seem to be armour plated , so unless you get them in the lip they usually rob your bait lol
I incrased my chances of this Chief by using braid also and continuosly in contact with the rod problem is a 1lb wrasse on a 6ft rod with braid wrenches your arm off LOL

John

and yes the Chief is extremley helpful!!!!

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Great report and a nice variety :thumbs:, and well done :clap:.

·
Banned
229 Posts
nice report ,i asked about the bass once and winny the local bait shop on holyhead (best bait for miles) said in all the years he knew the breaky he had only ever heard of one ever being caught from the lighthouse end i do always put a bait out for em but end up with pollock or dog, ive been there wen they have had matches on the sea facing side ,,we have had very small smooth hound odd ray and a tope from inside that was a shock,,,if ya want a bass try cardy bay area tywn borth ect

·
Banned
229 Posts
ps i agree about the rubbish and local or not we all in the human race (well some of us ) and as fishermen we have a duty to our sport where ever to promote it correctly,,and yes i would pay to fish the breaky if it was clean ,couple of places in liverpool and cleaveden pier llandudno pier and a few others charge so makes sense ..did you fish up the light house end btw

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ps i agree about the rubbish and local or not we all in the human race (well some of us ) and as fishermen we have a duty to our sport where ever to promote it correctly,,and yes i would pay to fish the breaky if it was clean ,couple of places in liverpool and cleaveden pier llandudno pier and a few others charge so makes sense ..did you fish up the light house end btw
No we fished the bend by the green light, the lighthouse end was packed and was also going to be used by a match so i am glad we stayed clear. I have'nt fished off the lighthouse end but I imagine the catch rate is the same as the inside wall, one day im gonna fish the outside wall but so far i have given that a miss to.

John

·
Registered
823 Posts
Shanny's are pretty hard to hook, there mouths seem to be armour plated , so unless you get them in the lip they usually rob your bait lol
I've caught them on light float gear with size 10 round bend eyed hooks to 7 lb fluoro trace. The last one was a belter like Js, caught off the side of the Green next to the Telford bridge, a couple of weeks ago. I also got pollack to 1 lb there. Bait was some sell-by farmed trout with skin like a rhino, cut into 1/2" squares.
I was trotting down the wall side and chucking half a dozen pieces in first, to gull them before casting in. I left the trace 6 ft long so that my hook bait would swirl about just like the loose feed.
Just like trotting for roach on the Trent.

·
Banned
229 Posts
you fished a good spot peg 16 past the light to 29 ,,if you chuck it you can feel the bottom change and there is like a dip or gully round 28 by the steps ive had some good catches out of it i was shown it by a match angler after getting peed off with whiting one day some great float fishing down the side had some nice pollock we find maky and squid raps work well ,,,its always intrigued me how the get the fish out from the sea wall side lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts