World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any signs on the bream in the south side of the Lleyn yet? Also are mackerel showing in any numbers yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are there any signs on the bream in the south side of the Lleyn yet? Also are mackerel showing in any numbers yet?
I was out in the boat north side of the Llyn on Sunday, North easterly wind and murky waters were far from ideal. The mackerel are there but I don’t usually look for bream before late July when they have fattened up a bit

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was out in the boat north side of the Llyn on Sunday, North easterly wind and murky waters were far from ideal. The mackerel are there but I don’t usually look for bream before late July when they have fattened up a bit
The tope should be there now. Im guessing thats what you were after. We stay on the cliff tops near Nefyn and watch the boats from Trefor. Usually we can see the birds on the bait fish.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not been up that way since the season before the pandemic!
Im going next week John. And like you i know what should and probably will be there and where. Its just nice to have a little reassurance before you get there instead of all the mystery, will they wont they.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Have a great trip - the Llyn is always good one way or another! All being well I hope to get up there later this year. Too many folk around right now not understanding the meaning of social distancing or who haven't figured out how to wear a surgical mask properly, and I figure it'll remain that way into the early autumn, although certain marks should be safe bets.

WRT the bream though - I have always found them very hit and miss, but despite that I keep going back to Pwllheli and surroundings because it throws up so many surprise catches when it's on form. There are those days when a few mangy dabs are your lot too, though!

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
255 views and no one knows???
Must be loads of people looking to find out before they set off.
Sadly Bill, this section of the forum is a shadow of what it used to be :cry:.

I'm afraid I can't help with regards to the bream or the Lleyn, but the mackerel have been in everywhere else for a while now, so I would be surprised if they weren't showing down there too.

Reactions: dabcatcher

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly Bill, this section of the forum is a shadow of what it used to be :cry:.

I'm afraid I can't help with regards to the bream or the Lleyn, but the mackerel have been in everywhere else for a while now, so I would be surprised if they weren't showing down there too.
Ive noticed that a few who fished the Lleyn regularly arnt posting anymore.
Probably due to traveling and covid.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Saw bream reported from Pwllheli a few days ago on one of the FB groups. There's been sporadic mackerel catches reported around Anglesey so probably similar or better down the Llyn. Think KD off here has had a few.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw bream reported from Pwllheli a few days ago on one of the FB groups. There's been sporadic mackerel catches reported around Anglesey so probably similar or better down the Llyn. Think KD off here has had a few.
Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
255 views and no one knows???
Must be loads of people looking to find out before they set off.
Lol great observation. I'm already here! Arrived yesterday hafan y mor fished low tide up for 3 hrs with my little girl (11 Yr old and is throwing a dexter nearly as far as me) not even a hint of mackerel, no bait scattering, birds working etc etc the water seemed very quiet! We did see a pod of 4 dolphins disappearing around the headland as we arrived. Maybe scared the fish off?? But doubt they'd have cleared the whole area out. Its a family holiday but I'll be fishing some of my regular marks for bass at night and first light, but any advice on where I can find a few mackerel would be greatly appreciated!! I dont mind a drive just so the little un can get a bend in her rod. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the basis of a couple of trips in the last 2-3 weeks there weren't many mackerel around. Don't know about bream.
Arrived for a family holiday yesterday. Hafan y mor. Fished low tide up last night for 3hrs with my little girl. Not a hint of mackerel or anything else for that matter. I'll be fishing late and very early a few times over the next 10 day for bass on lures, marks I know well. But any advice on where the mackerel are getting caught atm would be greatly appreciated. Just so the little un can get a bend in her rod. 11yr fisherwoman of the future!! Outta 3 boys and 2 girls she's the only one who's interested, I'd like her to get a few just to sustain that interest. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arrived for a family holiday yesterday. Hafan y mor. Fished low tide up last night for 3hrs with my little girl. Not a hint of mackerel or anything else for that matter. I'll be fishing late and very early a few times over the next 10 day for bass on lures, marks I know well. But any advice on where the mackerel are getting caught atm would be greatly appreciated. Just so the little un can get a bend in her rod. 11yr fisherwoman of the future!! Outta 3 boys and 2 girls she's the only one who's interested, I'd like her to get a few just to sustain that interest. Thanks in advance
Ive been home week now and only just seen this. We tried everywhere for mackerel but found none. There was a huge bait shoal off Nefyn that was getting hammered by birds and mackerel jumping out of the water one evening. But it was out of casting distance. The bream are there. We fished the south end if Plwhelli beach using bits of mackerel on size 6 hooks. I had 14 one session. A couple of hours either side of high tide is best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi mate
Thanks, I've seen 2 very small mackerel shoals along the beach. Hooked a single fish very briefly. I've only brought lure kit with me, 2 ultralight set ups to make the mackerel fishing a bit more sporting and my bass gear.
I might have to coble together a bait set up to try for a bream or two. Either that or take the little un out early morning for her first bass. It's a real shame about the mackerel, usually you can throw your hat on a few from the beach this time of year.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You will also get bass at the same spot we had bream. We also had them in darkness on white soft plastics. Plus theres lots of gars about

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just fished up to high on the reef right in front of the site. This is the biggest of a 7 fish haul in 3hrs. Also had a gar that feel off as I was lifting it out. Nothing massive but a great mornings fishing. I fish the peninsula quite a bit for bass despite the 4 hr round trip, so I know a few good marks. (It's just the bloody mackerel I can't get to grips with) Never fished this close to the hafan y mor before though, defo will again. There was fish chasing bait close to rocks on the headland as I walked back, probs take my daughter down there early tomorrow morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been speaking to a guy on another thread that took over 20 bream from pwllheli beach last week. Still not mackerel, did have 7 bass to 2lb this morning though, so not the end of the world

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mackerel very hit and miss after speaking to a fair few people, I managed a couple on the evening tides but it was hard work.
I tried for tope, ended up with a few congers.
Wrasse are feeding frantically as they always do in these conditions.....few videos below of the last couple of days......if this is any help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts