World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had a trip to hove beach today around high tide i caught four bream on ragworm i was actually fishing for flatties with beads on the rig i was suprised to catch bream is this usual? also last week in the middle of the day i had a bass around two or three pounds high tide middle of the day on fresh black lug, im new to beach fishing, i usually fish harbours or piers. ive been fishing hove beach for around three months the most sucsess ive had is on fresh lug, is there any advice anyone can give me to get into some big fish in this area?

·
Registered
142 Posts
just had a trip to hove beach today around high tide i caught four bream on ragworm i was actually fishing for flatties with beads on the rig i was suprised to catch bream is this usual? also last week in the middle of the day i had a bass around two or three pounds high tide middle of the day on fresh black lug, im new to beach fishing, i usually fish harbours or piers. ive been fishing hove beach for around three months the most sucsess ive had is on fresh lug, is there any advice anyone can give me to get into some big fish in this area?
where abouts on hove beach you fishing?
the hot pipes area around southwick is quite a famous fishing spot.

the arms have been poor all week around shoreham.

i've heard that climping is fishing really well if you dont mind travelling a bit.

also, the mullet are uo the adur so grab a loaf and off you pop

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

Stop using Lug would be the best advice. Although a very good big bass bait, the chances of a big bass finding it are remote cos everything else will have a go at it first. Top quality frozen sandeels are my favourite for Hove, the bigger the better!
Otherwise, whole squid, slipper limpets when the sea is rough and coloured. The absolutely primero, numero uno bait for there is live mackerel, when the sea is clear, calm and the mackerel shoals are running up to the beach.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
rob you couldnt make a dvice that can cast a whole live mackie could you mate??

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i hear ther quit a few big bream coming off selsey!
any idea on tackle and tactics (never targeted them before)
sorry if it seems im hijacking the thread!

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
hi, welcome to the site.:)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
rob you couldnt make a dvice that can cast a whole live mackie could you mate??
Jamie,cast a lead as far as you can then clip a trace with a livebait on and slide it down your line,sometimes the bait does not get all the way down the line but as long as the bait is in the water it's ok.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Stop using Lug would be the best advice. Although a very good big bass bait, the chances of a big bass finding it are remote cos everything else will have a go at it first. Top quality frozen sandeels are my favourite for Hove, the bigger the better!
Otherwise, whole squid, slipper limpets when the sea is rough and coloured. The absolutely primero, numero uno bait for there is live mackerel, when the sea is clear, calm and the mackerel shoals are running up to the beach.
Don't listen to Mr Fishy, would you trust a man who fishes with his bait stuffed in condoms with a lead bell end?

If you've had a 2-3lb Bass off Hove recently on lug you're doing well. Black lug has been known to fish well for Bass off Hove and a couple of the older anglers who fish King Alfred use it exclusively. Some big fish were caught on it last November during a match in a force 6 SW. I personally saw 8 Bass over 2.5 lb caught last year off Hove and all to whole Squid or Mackerel fillet.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Don't listen to Mr Fishy, would you trust a man who fishes with his bait stuffed in condoms with a lead bell end?

If you've had a 2-3lb Bass off Hove recently on lug you're doing well. Black lug has been known to fish well for Bass off Hove and a couple of the older anglers who fish King Alfred use it exclusively. Some big fish were caught on it last November during a match in a force 6 SW. I personally saw 8 Bass over 2.5 lb caught last year off Hove and all to whole Squid or Mackerel fillet.
Hmm..... I'm thinking you like my condoms...!! For sure black lug is a good bass bait, but you will wade through a lot of rockling etc to get one! But to be honest, it depends whats going on. These winds have brought a remarkable lack of shellfish onto the beaches. In this situation, black lug will pobably be the number one bait over low tide, as that will be the main food source available from the pounding waves. As soon as the wind eases, and the sea calms, back to sandeel for me!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Hmm..... I'm thinking you like my condoms...!! For sure black lug is a good bass bait, but you will wade through a lot of rockling etc to get one! But to be honest, it depends whats going on. These winds have brought a remarkable lack of shellfish onto the beaches. In this situation, black lug will pobably be the number one bait over low tide, as that will be the main food source available from the pounding waves. As soon as the wind eases, and the sea calms, back to sandeel for me!
Yeah, where are all the shellfish after the last 4 days of big seas? Just been down to give my crabs a drink and none to be found. Pugs and I were discussing last winter how the 4 months of constant storms may have significantly reduced the slipper beds?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts