World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am goin camping to Bridport near Chesil in mid July. im looking at fishing a day session and most probably a night one too. Problem is ive only fished it once and dont really kow what to fish for,methods,bait,marks etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Welcome to the site! I fish around that area alot at the time of year you will be there and to be honest during the day I have never really had much success. Depending on where on Chesil you will fish will depend on what you can target. If you were to fish the Portland end you could target Trigger fish during the day and Bass, not to sure about Bream but I would guess you could go for them as well and Smooth hounds. I have been told that Burton Bradstock offers very good Smooth hound fishing.

I would mainly fish at night around Abbotsbury or Seatown and fish for Bass with Mackerel as bait. Of course the mackerel are normally around at that time of year so it makes sense to have a few chucks for them just before sunset, free bait and nice on the BBQ. Smooth hounds will be around at night and Rays as well. You should get some more info soon from some of the locals.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Bridport is my local stomping ground. Personally I would avoid abbotsbury in July, it will be packed. Burton bradstock and cogden are good on big tides. Charmouth turns up some big bass and I did get 3 fair sized small eyed rays there last weekend. I would go for mackeral and squid baits with peeler if you can collect your own, not really worth handing over too much cash for crab that may not catch anything. The last smooth hound I caught took squid. Expect the usual plethera of dogs and pouts. A little further either side of Bridport is Swanage and to the west is Seaton. Hopes this helps, but no doubt others will have different opinions!!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
plenty of info on my blog....
advice to avoid chesil is good !, try Eype or Charmouth... sunbathers will be in the easy to reach non-fishy spots leaving the fishy further space for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts