World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple of bright orange and yellow plugs today, I normally stick with the more natural fishy colours.

In what sort of conditions do bright coloured lures tend to be most effective?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Generally when the water is a little bit coloured Rumpus. They're just a bit more visible. Saying that, they can work any time. If you can get your head around the idea of 'angry' fish and the fact that they will snap at pretty much anything that ticks them off, then it becomes apparent why brightly coloured lures can be so successful. Its not always about imitating something natural. Like a bull to a red flag, if you can put something in front of them that they don't like then the chances are that even if they don't plan on actually eating yor lure, they'll still give it a big enough bite to get themselves hooked.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Generally when the water is a little bit coloured Rumpus. They're just a bit more visible. Saying that, they can work any time. If you can get your head around the idea of 'angry' fish and the fact that they will snap at pretty much anything that ticks them off, then it becomes apparent why brightly coloured lures can be so successful. Its not always about imitating something natural. Like a bull to a red flag, if you can put something in front of them that they don't like then the chances are that even if they don't plan on actually eating yor lure, they'll still give it a big enough bite to get themselves hooked.
I have seen French jounalists suggest bright lures for night plugging. I don't know why that would work and I haven't tried them then but you never know...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mmm, can't quite understand what the thinking is behind that either. Like you say though, you just never know...

Until we have an actual understanding of how fish actually view colour in different lights then everyone will have their own theories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts