World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the East arm last night from 4pm to about 1am. Had a mate with me (first time fishing in the sea for him) so decided to use small hooks (size 4) for more of a chance of something. It was more windy than I'd expected from the forecast and the weed started off bad but improved as the evening went on (definitely better to keep baits away from the walls at the moment as there seems to be a lot of weed on the bottom there - much less further out).

Everything started slowly with the biggest event being me cracking-off on the first cast due to leaving the mainline in the line clip when I attached a new leader the day before - great start! After adding new shock leader and finally getting some bait in the water we waited for a while with nothing happening. Tried ragworm, mackerel and squid slivers.

With it not being the best tide in the world I wasn't expecting too much but decided to put out a bigger bait around 6pm (whole squid on a 3/0) which I chucked about 80 yards. I was surprised (to say the least) when, at about 6.45 the rod was nearly pulled over by what turned out to be a 2lb smooth hound pup - well chuffed as it's my first (only been fishing seriously for a year and haven't targeted them yet). I have to say that it gave a great fight for a little fish so I'm looking forward to having a go for a bigger one!

Things picked up a little with a few micro-pouting falling to rag and squid baits but nothing for my mate until about 8pm - I have to say I was relieved when he caught his first pouting. He followed this up with several more but things went inexplicably quiet going into darkness.

Around high tide (10pm) I decided it was worth trying some crab with the hope of a better hound. That didn't materialize but we did get 12 tiny pups between us (mostly to rag), one small sole, a few more pouting and I had a 1.5lb thornback ray - another first.

Packed up and left very happy with the number and variety of fish and delighted to have two more on the species list. My mate also enjoyed the experience and I'm sure he'll return and we'll try for some bigger fish when conditions are more friendly. :fish:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fished the East arm last night from 4pm to about 1am. Had a mate with me (first time fishing in the sea for him) so decided to use small hooks (size 4) for more of a chance of something. It was more windy than I'd expected from the forecast and the weed started off bad but improved as the evening went on (definitely better to keep baits away from the walls at the moment as there seems to be a lot of weed on the bottom there - much less further out).

Everything started slowly with the biggest event being me cracking-off on the first cast due to leaving the mainline in the line clip when I attached a new leader the day before - great start! After adding new shock leader and finally getting some bait in the water we waited for a while with nothing happening. Tried ragworm, mackerel and squid slivers.

With it not being the best tide in the world I wasn't expecting too much but decided to put out a bigger bait around 6pm (whole squid on a 3/0) which I chucked about 80 yards. I was surprised (to say the least) when, at about 6.45 the rod was nearly pulled over by what turned out to be a 2lb smooth hound pup - well chuffed as it's my first (only been fishing seriously for a year and haven't targeted them yet). I have to say that it gave a great fight for a little fish so I'm looking forward to having a go for a bigger one!

Things picked up a little with a few micro-pouting falling to rag and squid baits but nothing for my mate until about 8pm - I have to say I was relieved when he caught his first pouting. He followed this up with several more but things went inexplicably quiet going into darkness.

Around high tide (10pm) I decided it was worth trying some crab with the hope of a better hound. That didn't materialize but we did get 12 tiny pups between us (mostly to rag), one small sole, a few more pouting and I had a 1.5lb thornback ray - another first.

Packed up and left very happy with the number and variety of fish and delighted to have two more on the species list. My mate also enjoyed the experience and I'm sure he'll return and we'll try for some bigger fish when conditions are more friendly. :fish:
Well done makes the west arm pretty poultry, great catching!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mangerphish - I was in the bay (20) to the left of you.

In total i had 4 tompot blennies, 4 pouting, 1 tiny pollack and a nice ballan wrasse of 1.5 - 2 lb.
Good to meet you yesterday - certainly worth the effort and the drive for us. Well done on your catches. Shame I missed the wrasse coming out but I know my mate thought that was cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts