World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catch report from Brighton Marina.
I havnt fished here for 15 years so this was a little bit of a redicovery for me. I got down for about 7 A.M and the idea was to fish the top of tide to see if i could find a smoothhound or maybe a Plaice.
PARKING- I wasnt going to pay the extortionate parking fees (for me thats anything over £1 an hour! ) So i actually put my wifes bike in my car and cycled from near Rottingdene. Its a nice way to travel on the coast road.The benefits of being tight !
TACKLE SHOP- I called in at the tackle box and he was a great source of information and id urge anyone fishing here for the first time to make that your first port of call. Restocked with peeler and rag. No worm unfortunatelly but ill pre order next time as they are cheeper than my local tackle shop !
FISHING- At the end of the day i could only manage a couple of smoothounds and a flounder. Which threw me at first as it has bright red spots. All the fish came just on the high tide.
Everything on the pealer crab baits. I say smoothounds.... they were tiny, but lets hope there are bigger ones on thier way.
I did see a 2lb flounder dropped right on the wall and this is another reason to bring a drop net even for the flatties.

For those that dont fish the venue much here is a short list of what i learnt.

Dont drop baits close to the wall like other venues. I was told the reason for this was that the squid were the only things swimming there. This does seem to contradict other Piers but it came from a regular here.
Tide runs East to West all the time- This is handy to know. Casting at 10 o clock and letting the weight settled helped me hold bottom.
Grip leads are a must- Making sure the grip leads bed in is a must you dont want your leads ending up on your right hand neighbours side.
Squid Angling- This seems to be on the knuckle around the lower numbers. The one you see in the video looked big to me but i think they run a lot bigger here everyone seemed to have seen a bigger squid untill in the end some reconed on one 3ft long ! But who knows !
May rot/gulley water/- This killed the fishing a bit here talking to other Anglers, but it was clear enough today.I should think the big tides this weekend should help.
I made a couple of videos of my session and you can watch the first one here- Just dont expect too much fish catching action !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hi well done on your catch,was there myself today and it got rather busy,soppy people throwing out Feathers for Fish that ain't there, but you obviously don't know that its free to park in the car park by Mcdonalds providing that you are using the facilities,!! Fishing !! and you are because your using the Marina Arms so next time take your car if you want to,regards TCH.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nice report and video. I've done well down the sides for my mini species, catching corkwing wrasse, ballan wrasse, blennies, sea scorpion. With regard feathers, had a lot of herring on sabikis in April before now. Like cuffley horror says, free parking in multi storey, notices say 4 hours maximum but I've always stayed longer and never had a problem.

Reactions: slendersunfsh

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi well done on your catch,was there myself today and it got rather busy,soppy people throwing out Feathers for Fish that ain't there, but you obviously don't know that its free to park in the car park by Mcdonalds providing that you are using the facilities,!! Fishing !! and you are because your using the Marina Arms so next time take your car if you want to,regards TCH.
Thanks for that! Will do that next time have updated the info cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts