World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extremely rough and windy on the marina.

Top weight in our match was 7lb 7oz, which was a 4lb 14oz Mullet, a 2lb 1oz Bass and 8oz Wrasse. Second was 3lb 14oz which was 4 wrasse.

Species caught between the 12 of us...
Mullet, Bass, Pout, Wrasse, Smoothound, Blenny, Eel, Pollack, Thornback Ray and a sizable codling!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Extremely rough and windy on the marina.

Top weight in our match was 7lb 7oz, which was a 4lb 14oz Mullet, a 2lb 1oz Bass and 8oz Wrasse. Second was 3lb 14oz which was 4 wrasse.

Species caught between the 12 of us...
Mullet, Bass, Pout, Wrasse, Smoothound, Blenny, Eel, Pollack, Thornback Ray and a sizable codling!
What bait was the Mullet caught on?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What bait was the Mullet caught on?
Bread! The bass was also caught when he was mulleting. Huge tide, it cleared out after high tide.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the whole of the East Arm open or only inshore pegs ? :fishing1:

You havent said the winners name but assume its Sam Sampson as normal :fishing1:
Lol Sam has only won 1 comp this year. My dad won today.
Arm was only open to peg 25.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
your dads becoming a bit of a mullet man theses days,fair play to him he does pull em out

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
When I saw the mullet in the list I knew it must have been Roy who won. Top marks for pulling one out in the rough conditions today, and top marks for fishing for thick lip mullet in a match.

I heard today of a few to 4lb being caught on black lug at Shoreham arm on Saturday in the surf at the start of the arm. Very weird. Had a couple myself this weekend to more conventional methods in the lower Adur, best 3-13.

Hot Wad - I fished a few of the marina matches last year, only a few quid to join the club, why not give it a go? I certainly learned a good few things last year, mostly that Sam Sampson knows a hell of lot more than me about fishing the marina.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Was the sea reasonably clear down there? Am thinking of livebaiting tommorow, would this be a good idea?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I saw the mullet in the list I knew it must have been Roy who won. Top marks for pulling one out in the rough conditions today, and top marks for fishing for thick lip mullet in a match.

I heard today of a few to 4lb being caught on black lug at Shoreham arm on Saturday in the surf at the start of the arm. Very weird. Had a couple myself this weekend to more conventional methods in the lower Adur, best 3-13.

Hot Wad - I fished a few of the marina matches last year, only a few quid to join the club, why not give it a go? I certainly learned a good few things last year, mostly that Sam Sampson knows a hell of lot more than me about fishing the marina.
Sam just wanders up the arm with a bucket of prawns and bucket of peelers and does the business. He'll sneak out wrasse and pollack from any bay on the marina. If its becomes a garfish match hes easily beatable cos hes on the :wheelchai side a bit like the highwayman :marinheir

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

I was thinking out loud,more for everyones benefit than mine personally.

Cannot see why more clubs do not do what the Worthing club does….advertise the fixtures on an all welcome basis,you then attract a few day anglers and those that have never fished a club match before may be tempted to come and have a go,chances are you would pick up a few who wish to join and become members this way.

The need to join and become a member no doubt puts people off,that said a few of the other clubs do allow non members to fish a couple of matches before being required to join (that lets people have a look to see if it’s for them).

Had you of been required to join and become a member of the Worthing club,would you of come over for that first match?.......probably not.:):thumbs:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Had you of been required to join and become a member of the Worthing club,would you of come over for that first match?.......probably not.:):thumbs:

Absolutely right. I wouldnt have. Anyhow, dont despair, as there is very likely to be a fortnightly open competition fished on the marina in the very near future......... :whistling

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
sounds very intertesting is the info gonna be on your site rob?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I was thinking out loud,more for everyones benefit than mine personally.

And there was me thinking you wanted to join in!

I imagine Brighton Palace Pier Club enjoy being a small club as Worthing enjoy their matches being opens. I fished both last year so I can honestly say I probably would have fished Worthing even if there was a membership. There again, I think the Worthing matches are more accessible as they are advertised on this site. There again, again, the BPPC matches are cheaper! Both are pretty informal and great ways to learn about fishing the local venues.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
And there was me thinking you wanted to join in!

I imagine Brighton Palace Pier Club enjoy being a small club as Worthing enjoy their matches being opens. I fished both last year so I can honestly say I probably would have fished Worthing even if there was a membership. There again, I think the Worthing matches are more accessible as they are advertised on this site. There again, again, the BPPC matches are cheaper! Both are pretty informal and great ways to learn about fishing the local venues.
I should point out that I am not referring to BPP club as I do not know their policy with regard to non members taking part (for all I know they could well run a 2 match taster for non/would be members).

If clubs want to operate on a closed shop members only basis, that’s understandable and fine also.

Apologies to Glen for discussing club politics on your clubs catch report thread…..i shall shut up and run along.:marinheir

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should point out that I am not referring to BPP club as I do not know their policy with regard to non members taking part (for all I know they could well run a 2 match taster for non/would be members).

If clubs want to operate on a closed shop members only basis, that’s understandable and fine also.

Apologies to Glen for discussing club politics on your clubs catch report thread…..i shall shut up and run along.:marinheir
Thats fine Hot Wad, i would prefer to operate on a open match basis like the Worthing club does. Our club is quite small and there is 50/50 split on serious anglers and old boys who are not overly bothered that just see it as a day out. If its calm we can get 18-20 anglers, if its a s***ty day like sunday then its more likely to be 8-12.

Perhaps i will bring that up at next years AGM.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
personally i like fishing the marina and will soon threaten you with my membership...see ya soon

i may rite *******s , but i do like a comp and reckon within 12 months i will be king......................see ya all soon

1 - 20 of 63 Posts