World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ended up on the maina with my Brighton Langoustines. Its a lot more like the marina I know and love since before I went out of the UK. The first fourty casts saw thirty pollock come in. Stopped using the langoustines, cos it was looking like nothing else out there. Went onto float and strip and found the mackerel. Float fished a live mackerel, but no takes. I ended up guiding for a coulple of Irish lads from a travelling family I know. Good lads, and one of them has realltyy got the magic of the blarney. He managed two fourty one cm bass, and backed it up with pollock, an 8 oz codling (first codling I have seen to langoustine) and wrasse. Previous to this afternoon, he had caught three roach. I got a dirty look of one angler as he was leaving when he saw the size of the bass. If Mr Bradshaw had completed on his promise for the MLS these fish would have still been legal, so I couldnt really tell the lads that the fish had to go back, especially as they were 5 cm over the current limit. If I had of caught them, I would have returned them anyhow. Still felt bad though. What would anyone else have done?
Full report and piccies in the diary, but I doubt if I will update it until Saturday or Sunday. But for anyone looking to fish the marina, no may weed, no squid and shedloads of fish. Also had a double figure sea trout twice chase in a quickly retrieved strip. Kind of keeps you going down there....!!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Nice report as usual, Rob. Was this long or short arm? I quite fancy a go on the Marina one day next week, weather permitting.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
langoustines! were do you get thos and how do you fish them?
i take we ar talking about thos bloody great prawns?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds a like a good day all round rob. I guess the fish were over the size limit. Not everyone would keep them though so i guess the odd punters you have who insist on keeping there catch wanna take them home then thats fine. As long as they do understand the size limits and you have tought them this so they understand when fishing on there own not to take home undersized fish.

When the Mariner sounds promosing. Whats the night fishing like down there. Is it open at night. Im torn between the beach at Newhaven or the Mariner. Any suggestions. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
another codling... a 2lb one was caught a few days ago!!!

is there a little run??

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, long arm inshore. Let me know when you are going and I will come join you.

Geffaz, I wish I could get hold of live langoustines. I actually had most of the fish on quite small prawns, which was just as well as on the short tides I struggle to get the big ones early on.

Miami, thanks for that. I feel better now! Marina is open 24/7 weahter, repairs, firework display and boat racing permitting! Night fishing can be extremely productive, although the trick is to avoid the pouting. Short arm snaggy all through really, although it changes storm to storm. Long arm, snaggy to 12, then pretty clean bottom round to 57, where there are sea defence blocks.

Jamie, all a bit strange I agree, but who can tell what anymore! It was fully coloured up, so perhaps we will get our own red cod on the south coast!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Great report as usual Rob. I had a sea trout chasing in a small dexter (10g) at the Marina a couple of weeks ago but if I slowed the retrieve or speeded up, it just slipped back. I thought I was going to hit it but alas! it just followed and didn't bite!

I'm going to give Hove beach a bash tomorrow as the Marina West arm is getting a bit full at the weekends and with son in tow, the lazy little tike doesn't like the walk around to the East!

Good luck if you go back.

Best

Andy
:notworthy Member of SAS:notworthy

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great report as usual Rob. I had a sea trout chasing in a small dexter (10g) at the Marina a couple of weeks ago but if I slowed the retrieve or speeded up, it just slipped back. I thought I was going to hit it but alas! it just followed and didn't bite!

I'm going to give Hove beach a bash tomorrow as the Marina West arm is getting a bit full at the weekends and with son in tow, the lazy little tike doesn't like the walk around to the East!

Good luck if you go back.

Best

Andy
I quite fanc Hove on these evening tides myself, but I will be fishing a match at Goring. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I reckon if you take spinning gear (or fly gear, winds might swing Northerly) you will have a lot of fun the two hours before dark.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I quite fanc Hove on these evening tides myself, but I will be fishing a match at Goring. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I reckon if you take spinning gear (or fly gear, winds might swing Northerly) you will have a lot of fun the two hours before dark.
You may well have just persuaded me to give a set of sea flies (deceivers) I just received a go - having just persuaded myself out of going trout fishing for the day!

I'll let you know how it goes. Enjoy Goring - rumour has it that it's fishing well so good luck.

Andy S

ps I'm still up for that boat trip when I can convince the missus to sort out what dates we are on holiday.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may well have just persuaded me to give a set of sea flies (deceivers) I just received a go - having just persuaded myself out of going trout fishing for the day!

I'll let you know how it goes. Enjoy Goring - rumour has it that it's fishing well so good luck.

Andy S

ps I'm still up for that boat trip when I can convince the missus to sort out what dates we are on holiday.

Dont be scared to go very small on the fly. The very best I have ever used is called a Softly Minnow, sold by Farlows. I couldnt believe how many folows and hits I got on it at Hove one magic morning!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dont be scared to go very small on the fly. The very best I have ever used is called a Softly Minnow, sold by Farlows. I couldnt believe how many folows and hits I got on it at Hove one magic morning!
I'll give some small flys a go a well then. I'm half hoping to fulfill my dream of a decent size bass on the fly (have a lifetime achievement to date of two small schoolies) but, even if a mackerel hits it I'll be a happy boy!

Best

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts