World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Tried fishing Brighton marina for the first time last night and had an absolute nightmare!! myself and my cousin fished 4 rods for 4 hours and had a total of 1 half pound smouthhound between us. Anybody know what went wrong for us, there were only about 3 other people fishing last night so is it just a daytime mark or were all our tactics messed up? We were fishing peeler crab on a pennel at distance and ragworm on a 3 hook flapper close in.
I would like to try the mark again but with a little more sucess, what are the preferred tactics and where along the arms are best to fish?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Hi All
Tried fishing Brighton marina for the first time last night and had an absolute nightmare!! myself and my cousin fished 4 rods for 4 hours and had a total of 1 half pound smouthhound between us. Anybody know what went wrong for us, there were only about 3 other people fishing last night so is it just a daytime mark or were all our tactics messed up? We were fishing peeler crab on a pennel at distance and ragworm on a 3 hook flapper close in.
I would like to try the mark again but with a little more sucess, what are the preferred tactics and where along the arms are best to fish?
What arm and what bays were you fishing?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hi All
Post this on the South Coast Forum for more responses.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
eastern arm about half way round

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Was there an easterly wind? If there was that would not have helped and you might have fared a bit better on the west arm.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
north east but not too bad, sods law as we were walking off it disappeared

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Just got back from the marina as part of the Fishathon, and I would say it is fishing at about its worse for bottom fishing. Two corkwing wrasse, one tompot blenny, and six pouting. Another guy had a plaice and a pollock, and that was all the fish I saw caught. Two possible reasons. 1. The place is stiff with squid. You could see plenty on the surface tonight. 2. The water is thick with may bloom, which was running down the line in big globby globules. As the previous post says, it fishes better just after the may bloom clears, usually late may/early june. Dont give up on it, cos when it fishes, it fishes well. Apart from that, your techinque and location should have seen you with fish.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
thanks rob, we'll definitely have another go although a trolley for the tackle may be an idea,perhaps we can tag along with you local guys sometime

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
thanks rob, we'll definitely have another go although a trolley for the tackle may be an idea,perhaps we can tag along with you local guys sometime
Your very welcome to tag along with me, but I will have to charge your group (up to four people) £10 per hour for the priviledge, cos thats what I do for a living, as the "official" marina guide!! But if you are popping down, and dont require my services (although you do get rod hire and bait inclusive) let me know and I will come and say Hi, and put you onto the best of whats available for free, coz I am a nice guy...!

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi i suppose the best bit of advice is to fish somewhere else..lol ...no serously i caught as fish of there once ..cheers andy

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
seeing as we would have rods and bait you can come say hi and we will provide beer and munchies, sound ok?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for all of your help rob, we'll definately be giving you a shout when we next venture down to brighton!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Just got back from the marina as part of the Fishathon, and I would say it is fishing at about its worse for bottom fishing.
Was also pretty quiet on Sunday. I fished the east arm as the wind was from the south west and it was getting a bit blustery (as we dove down i could see that spray was beginning to come over the west arm). We arrived for the last couple of hours of the incoming tide but didn't see anything caught, then all of a sudden, just into the ebb, out of the blue I saw a bit of a knock on the rod and went for a strike. Not much later despite being crossed by a couple of other lines I pulled in a 44cm bass which weighed in at two pounds. Only saw one other fish, a rockling, pulled in for the next few hours until about 7pm when the light was fading and pretty much everyone else had gone home my mate caught a small bass of about 24cm and my other mate caught a small eel.

Three fish betwen us in seven hours but at least one was a decent bass.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Was also pretty quiet on Sunday. I fished the east arm as the wind was from the south west and it was getting a bit blustery (as we dove down i could see that spray was beginning to come over the west arm). We arrived for the last couple of hours of the incoming tide but didn't see anything caught, then all of a sudden, just into the ebb, out of the blue I saw a bit of a knock on the rod and went for a strike. Not much later despite being crossed by a couple of other lines I pulled in a 44cm bass which weighed in at two pounds. Only saw one other fish, a rockling, pulled in for the next few hours until about 7pm when the light was fading and pretty much everyone else had gone home my mate caught a small bass of about 24cm and my other mate caught a small eel.

Three fish betwen us in seven hours but at least one was a decent bass.

Well done on the bass. Some of the very bast catches of bass have come just as the weather breaks down after a long settled period. If I was available tomorrow, I would be fishing right inshore over the low water with whole squid. Right in amongst the surf. Trouble is, I'm not....!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts