World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded up with a double-helping of ragworm, and a mackerel that had been in the freezer since this time last year, I arrived at the East Arm an hour and a half after low water. Crowded, as expected, I found an empty peg in the low thirties.

I baited up a simple one-up, one-down with the rag, and lobbed it out twenty yards or so. There was a little success on the peg to the right, with a flattie and a bream being caught. An hour passed with no action on my rod.

Desperate times, desperate measures. I fell back to the tried and tested technique of small hooks, small baits dropped just in front of the wall. Seconds after the lead hit the seabed, I felt a little tug. A few missed strikes later, and I was rewarded with a little pouting.

After re-baiting, it was straight into more pout and the tompot blennies. The seabed must be carpeted with them – bites would occur seconds after hitting the water. Often, a double-hit of blenny on the bottom hook and a pout on the top one.

A short while later, a colourful corkwing wrasse, and after more blennies and pouting, a ballan wrasse. A new species for me.

To add some variety to the fishing, I cut some strips of the leathery mackerel, and tried that close to the wall. Not even the greedy blennies or pout would touch it. Don’t blame them, it looked rank.

As high tide approached, I switched back to the longer range casting. Another new species! A little plaice, which despite being cast over (again) I was able to land.

Then just before packing up, a hat-trick of new species, with a black bream.

Lots of people putting in time with mackerel feathers, but in the six hours I was there didn't see one caught. Pretty pleased with the day. Six species, five new ones for 2008, and three completely new ones for me.

Photos on my blog.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You see that's why i like fishing the Marina, lots of different species available as well as the chance to get into the occasional good fish.

well done on what sounds like a fun session and getting into some new species.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts