World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids have been nagging me to take them fishing for weeks, however due to other commitments, tides, or the weather its just not been possible. This Saturday is looking hopeful though.

The main objective of this trip will be to get my 5 year old catching fish, the last few times he has come fishing with me, despite my best efforts he hasn't caught anything.

Any suggestions for bait/tactics for him would be much appreciated (I suspect that for the type of fish he is likely to be catching, the hooks I have been using have been to big).

Steve.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When we fished the East arm last week Thursday we used rag & squid strips (on seperate hooks) fished on the bottom and got this years babay Smooth ounds every chuck on the rag, loads down there! I had 1 undersized bream and a Plaice on the bottom too. My Dad had a red gurnard, undersized.

Float fishing with macky strip produced tom pot blennies down the side, Gar, Macky and a 3lb Allis Shad for me!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you get him fishing right down by the wall with ragworm on bays 1-15ish im sure he will catch many pout, wrase and goby's and blennies. Not the most exciting fish but im sure it will keep him entertained for the day and you never know what else might pass by. Have a good day down there and good luck! :thumbs:

·
Registered
156 Posts
have been using small size 6 carp hooks, half a black lug and getting many brean, almost 1 a chuck, some of which have been sizeable too. there are plenty fish there for him to catch mate, just ensure the hooks are small.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it looks as though last time we went to the marina, I was using to big a hook, I think a 2 was the smallest I had. I suspected that ragworm might also be better than my usual lugworm, and one thing I did learn from my last visit is I need to get a cool bag for my bait.

Steve.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Very light rod,something like a spinning or carp rod with three tiny hooks (size 6 or 8) and tiny pieces of worm on each hook (no longer than an inch).

Straightdown the wall (no more than two metres away). Count to 5 and if you haven't got anything, then move it a bit count to 5 again and if you still don't catch anything, then you're doing something wrong. One thing, make sure there's enough tension on the line, but don't lift the weight off the bottom. As soon as the rod starts rattling, hit it.

Obviously all the fish will be tiny, but for a five year old, it'll be brilliant fun. There'll be plenty small pollock and decent wrasse but you'll also get lots of those ugly weavers and if you're lucky maybe a bream or two.

Took some friends fishing last week and after two hours feathering and not catching anything, i had to resort to this. Never seen grown man so excited about such tiny fish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks
Yet again its looking like the weather could put a stop to this trip, the forcasted wind appears to be getting stronger each time I look.
Steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts