World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contrary to the latest issue of Sea Angler i can assure you that this place is dead at the moment. I have been every week for the last couple of months and havent caught a thing and neither has anybody else.
Last year at this time the place was teeming.

I'm seriously thinking that global warming is here and its fucking with our fishing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
it seems to me that the sea angler and most other angling mags print the same thing every month. i use to fish on the river wharfe near poole west yorkshire and the angling press used to say the thing every time i read one.

stick to the forums for the best advice on how venues are fishing :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Drat and double drat, i was gonna take my eldest there this saturday for our first sea fishing jaunt! If it's as dry as you say can anybody recommend anywhere else, we are coming from Isleworth(West London(But from Bradford originally), my fear is he will be put off coming ever again if we catch zilch! Don't want to head East up the Thames though,
Cheers all
Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sumo said:
Easy Blue mate ;)

Out of interest what baits have you been using?

Hello Sumo my friend!!

been using squid, mussels, mackies (cut in thin strips), prawn, lug and rag - all of these have never failed me to catch in the past.

Apparently on the smaller (western) arm theres been a few takes (mackies and a pollock) but cathes are still very poor in comparison to last year.

Over Trawling? Global warming?

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
from what i understand most articles in sea angler and total sea fishing are around a month old based upon what local tackle/bait dealer's report,in laymen's term's they phone local tackle shop's to find out what is being caught/what they expect to be caught for the next month's issue,they are not trying to mislead anyone,they are simply trying to advise the less knowledgeable and beginner's where the best place/chance to catch is likely to be at that particular time of a given season/month.
now add to the above tackle shops/bait dealers who will tell you black is really white in colour just to shift some stock(not all,but there are some)and you'll soon realise with experience which shop's are best,which one's will tell you the real fact's about what's being caught,many boat angler's will know what i'm on about,the real skipper's who know bizz and those with pound sign's every time they entertain first time kipper's.
anyway,enough of that shite(?, could'nt find shite in the oxford 1922 edition)what about this paying per mile driving pollacks???????? :D :D :mad:
p.s forgot to say i think the angling press,be it lake/sea/river do their best to advise us all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
blue said:
Hello Sumo my friend!!

been using squid, mussels, mackies (cut in thin strips), prawn, lug and rag - all of these have never failed me to catch in the past.

Apparently on the smaller (western) arm theres been a few takes (mackies and a pollock) but cathes are still very poor in comparison to last year.

Over Trawling? Global warming?
With that selection of baits you'd expect to have something!! I have a hunch the trawlers have had a major effect on inshore stocks this year. The sole numbers where i fish are definatley down on last year.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Hi Blue,

I'm afraid I disagree completely that Brighton marina is dead. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is heaving with fish. If by dead you mean you arent filling your feathers with mackerel, then you would be absolutely correct. The mackerel have done their usual trick of coming in early in big numbers, and this year they were backed up by huge volumes of herring, and now have calmed down to small patchy shoals roaming around. However, this Saturday there were huge numbers of very small whitebait, which is the mackerels favourite, so they will come back in this week if the sea doesnt cut up too rough. It has, though, been a very good year for plaice, and the summer fish are there in numbers. I fished Saturday for five hours, in a crystal clear sea and bright conditions, and still managed three bass to 2.5lb's, about a dozen pollock and a couple of big corkwing wrasse. I wouldnt call that dead. The one thing you do have to do is ammend your approach to the conditions, and put the effort in to get the right bait for the conditions. If you arent convinced, and would like a free guided session, to save the reputation of both Brighton Marina and Sea Angler, then please mail me [email protected] and we will arrange a time and tide.

Cheers

Robin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im sorry blue - would have to agree with Robin there. As the weather has slowly warmed, Ive enjoyed regularity in my catches from the marina. Everything from mackeral, gars and pollack on the float to flatties on the bottom. Nothing to break any records but enough to keep me coming back.

Robin - what did you get the bass on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Blue (and other sceptics): check out this website for recent catches from the marina:

http://www.brightonmarina-seafishing.co.uk/

Its my understanding that the web page is compiled by a local angler. Although he supports the local tackle shops, he is not afiliated with any. The reports are sent in from local fisherman and the wardons patrolling the marina. I would like to think this report takes some of the bias out of the report.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fishyrob said:
Hi Blue,

I'm afraid I disagree completely that Brighton marina is dead. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is heaving with fish. If by dead you mean you arent filling your feathers with mackerel, then you would be absolutely correct. The mackerel have done their usual trick of coming in early in big numbers, and this year they were backed up by huge volumes of herring, and now have calmed down to small patchy shoals roaming around. However, this Saturday there were huge numbers of very small whitebait, which is the mackerels favourite, so they will come back in this week if the sea doesnt cut up too rough. It has, though, been a very good year for plaice, and the summer fish are there in numbers. I fished Saturday for five hours, in a crystal clear sea and bright conditions, and still managed three bass to 2.5lb's, about a dozen pollock and a couple of big corkwing wrasse. I wouldnt call that dead. The one thing you do have to do is ammend your approach to the conditions, and put the effort in to get the right bait for the conditions. If you arent convinced, and would like a free guided session, to save the reputation of both Brighton Marina and Sea Angler, then please mail me [email protected] and we will arrange a time and tide.

Cheers

Robin
thanks for restoring my faith Robin!
I will be emailing you and i'll also be back up there when the weather permits.
I heard there were pollock being caught off the West arm and i also heard that you were taking bass (is this at night?)
The sea look pretty choppy this week unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts