World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says need some info on fishing the channel from the shore this summer.want to do a weekend either fishing from the car or maybe a guesthouse/etc.have never caught a conger/blonde ray or spur before so these would be the target species.could anyone please advise on venue/marks etc.thank you.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
think you may struggle with a spur from the shore especially in the summer.
for blondes and conger i would head Minehead way or over the welsh side.

·
Registered
18,073 Posts
You'll get spurs several miles off in the boat for another month or so, but no chance of them coming inshore again now.

Early spring and autumn seems to be the best time for the blondes, although you can pick them up in the summer. Best chance is Minehead area, although small eyed ray are more likely. Should be plenty of smoothies about around there from June/July.

Conger again are not huge in the summer, but plenty of rocky coastline in North Devon where you'll pick them up all year, albeit mostly straps.
They're spread right through really, but I can't think of anything more miserable than fishing the upper channel in high summer waiting for a strap eel to take my bait.

At that time of year, the further down channel you go the better variety of species on offer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
as you have probably gathered for spurs you need to come down in the colder months, try north devon marks such as clovelly rather than the somerset ones.
may be worth staying at watermouth campsite, as i believe this will allow you to fish what is rumoured to be a very good mark for free.
most people will be targeting hounds and rays from the somerset shoreline, with whitemark and gas works being one of the better area's, lilstock could be another good bet, though whether you would get a blonde from these i couldn't say.
there are alot of reef marks in somerset but wouldn't recommend fishing these unless your with someone that knows them, same as some of the beaches can be dangerous with quick sand etc......so would not venture to far onto any muddy beach during low water. the other important thing to remember about fishing the somerset shoreline is that most marks can only be fished a few hours either side of HW or LW, and the flooding tide can advance extremely quickly.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Some good advice here your best bet is to post near the time you are going to ask if anyone is willing to meet you the BC can be a great place to fish but some of the marks are tackle graveyards and some can become bloody dangerous due to mud and very fast tides

1 - 7 of 7 Posts