World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've only recently joined this site and usually only take part in the south west forum as I like to visit Chesil Beach :)
However, I live only 9 miles south of Bath and so some parts of the Bristol Channel would be a much shorter drive!!

I was just wondering if you could fill me in on how the channel fishes at this time of year, what sort of fish are about, and whether it's worth giving it a go or not?

If there is anywhere where there is still a good chance of smoothhounds/rays that is a bonus as I am really interested in catching my first of either of these. Or even dogfish as STILL haven't caught one of those! haha

The ideal mark for me would be fairly comfortable fishing position, not really experienced enough for any rocks yet!!, easy access would be good but I don't mind a bit of a walk :)

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,
Ben.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hi ben take a look at crustys stickie at the top pf this forum.
The channels pretty slow at the moment not much being caught at all,but hopefully it will start to pick up soon. The codling seem to be moving in as do the sole. as you live close to bath Severn Beach is not too far away, its up by the second severn crossing(beneath it) this is a quite comfartable place to fish off the wall on larger tides. The main thing about the channel is it can be quite a unforgiving place if you are new to it,dont let this put you off though as it can also give some excellant sport,,other places to try are ladye bay or clevedon pier these are all easy access, easy to fish (by bristol channel standards) to fish. there are lots of other places further down channel and im shure someone local to these will post some ideas for you. Also take a look here for some ideas.

http://www.veals.co.uk/fishing_guide/local_fishing/

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hey Ben,
there are a few "comfier" spots like Karlos has said. The rocky marks aren't the most uncomforatable in my opinion. In fact I often look at fishing from the rocks as a lot easier than moving up and down a muddy beach following the tide. The channel is a harsh place to fish, but the rewards are sometimes worth all the effort. You have to put lots of rod hours in because one day the fish are right in front of you, the next they are 20 miles down the coast and there's nothing in front of you. So try those spots suggested, and the slipway at portishead is also a good spot for the begineer, giving you an idea of the tidal movements etc. Then before you know it, the cod will be here in winter (i wish) and you'll be addicted lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice guys :)
I'll have to do some research and work out where to start, may give that slipway a go!

Could you tell me how much longer the thornbacks (or any other rays?!?) are likely to be around and catchable? I would really like to catch a ray. Also are smoothhounds around or no?

Cheers

Ben.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ive had rays (thornback) between april to october, and youll need to go down channel further for smoothhounds clevedon is about as far up as you get them.but if you want to target them your better off trying a lot further down somewhere like lilstock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Karlos,

If I can get down near Lilstock then I may give that a go. If I can only stay local I will forget about hounds and see if I can pick up any Rays. Is anywhere in particular more likely to throw up a thornback??

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts