World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

This has happened to me twice this year. I have put new GOOD line on my reel and it keeps going brittle so bad that I have lost fish and I can break it with my hands?? Any ideas what could be causing this? I am new to sea fishing but am presuming its not the salt?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
what do you call good line? could be bad batch, are you cleaning the reel off using freashwater after every trip, is the line left in sunlight for long periods of time after fishing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi

Sounds like this might be sun-damaged line or possibly poor
quality-control by that brand.

I have found in the past that stiff monos 'crack' more easily than soft, limp lines.

Stick to good brands like Daiwa Tournament or Penn Super Surf (if you can still get it) for multiplier use. Maxima and Suffix are also good brands.

A lot of fixed spool users have turned to braid, but keep to sensible diameters to avoid abrasion damage.

:bye1:

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
I'm still using the remains of a large reel of yellow Stren I bought in Singapore in 1981. It's still fine, but It's always been kept out of the sun.
Only time it's given trouble was when (after many feathering sessions) my tip ring became grooved and was shredding the line.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
thanks all reckon I need to wash it more
I've never directly washed my reel line. Rinse the reels under the tap after most sessions but thats it. Replace line fairly regularly though so I guess that helps. It's a good call to check your rings particularly the tip one for cracks and chips in the liner as these can easily cause line problems :whistling

What particular line are you having problems with? Some lines are well known for breaking far too easily ;)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rinsing the reel in freshwater after use is always good practice, however decent line is made for use in salt water. Other than in extreme cases, the salt should not cause it to break. If you are refilling your reel each time from the same bulk spool, then the line itself is suspect. Even "good" manufacturers occasionally send out a bad batch. If you are sure the problem lies with the line turning brittle, rather than abrasion or other physical damage, then for the cost involved I would simply invest in another spool of line from any of the well-known manufacturers. If you stick to Daiwa, Penn, Ultima, Suffix and co. you should not experience too many problems.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
check the spool of line to see if it is brittle before you load it onto your reel, check all your rod eyes for cracks or missing inserts, and also check your line roller if you are using a fixed spool reel it should rotate freely, and check the breaking strain of the line you are using, for beach work a minimum of 15-18 lb with a good shock leader, for rock fishing anything from 25lb upwards depending on what you are doing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just another point as i see that no one has put it up here.

If you spray your reel with oil/petrolium based products such as WD/40. The oil can quite often react with plastics causing softening or brittleness.

I always take my spool off before i clean my reel

Just a thought

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really appreciate all the advice guys it looks like it could be a few things will check them all tonight.

many thks

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
WD40 does not badly affect any nylon66 or Polyamide mono, but other solvents may. Either Acid (vinegar) or Alkali (soda) will weaken it - but I can't remember which (the other will weaken dacron/terylene)

The worst enemies (not counting abrasion, cracked rod rings and tangles) are
bright sunlight (Ultra Violet)
excessive heat (for mono this needs to be really hot over quite a long period)
wet-oxidation where the line is wet/humid and hot in the presence of air.
ageing causing loss of plasticisers (some line is good for years if stored well, other may suddenly go weak after a year or two:- a log time ago I had some 22lb Gantel which was good. I stored it well, on a reel, but after about 3 years its b.s. suddenly dropped to 6 ounces !)

for superbraids, the big enemy (apart from the three mentioned at the top) is heat - half an hour on a very hot radiator or car dashboard can affect it badly. The other things mentioned above do not worry it.....not even for years.
Bear in mind that applying shrink tube or fast winding line around/through something that grips (friction)...even when wet... can get a line very hot.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Really appreciate all the advice guys it looks like it could be a few things will check them all tonight.

many thks

you didn't answer my question though...which line are you having problems with?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry
Well i have been through 2 different types which is why i didnt think it was the line. I got the second lot from this site its called SUFIX cant remember the name of the first one it was from my local tackle shop

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you are having a problem with 2 different lines of that quality, there may be more than meets the eye. As the man said, check the guides on your rod. And what reel are you using? This intrigues me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The brittleness is likely to be caused by humidity over a long period of time. Nylons , by the nature of their polymerisation, are hydroscopic and will absorb water from the atmosphere. The main effect of water content on Nylon is a sort of Environmental Stress corrosion which may result in it become very brittle. The moisture content affects nylons strength and failure behaviour. If it is too dry it will become brittle, if it is too wet it will also fail easier. [there is an ideal moisture content for optimum properties depending upon what the application for the Nylon is.] Immersion for a few hours in the sea will not allow a significant amount of water to penetrate the nylon but keeping a spool of line in for long periods of time in damp or humid conditions eg. like a garage or unheated shed allows the water to penetrate deep into the polymer and it eventually becomes weaker. If it is allowed to dry out it will also become weaker and become brittle cycling in between the two 'environments' will also weaken the Nylon ... anyone owned a Ford and had the internals of the autochoke disintegrate on them ? .. Nylon

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sounds like you spent more time studying physics than fly fishing, Mr Hartley .... also sounds very plausible.

·
Registered
25,944 Posts
yep :thumbs:, 20+ years working as a polymer Chemist.. and zero time Flyfishing.
Now J R ... you are the nominated WSF resident chemisteggspurt then :laugh::victory:

Would you be so kind as to comment upon the following as to the benefit or detraction to the line as a result of my actions .

After every third or fourth time I go out fishing I run the line off my reels up & down the length of my garden putting it over some wooden pegs till the reel is empty. I then use a weak dishdrops solution in slightly warm water on a microfibre cloth to clean the exposed line and rinse it off with a differnt cloth and clean warm water .

I then rewind the reels taking care to lay the line on correctly ...once the rewind is complete I spray the spool with a quality plain silcone spray to re lube the line. The reels are the stored in a polybag in a cool dark place

Is this a good or bad idea ??? What will the will the effects of the silicone be on the line ?

regards
David

·
Registered
728 Posts
As the resident eggspurt, you could of course command a consultancy fee ...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I can tell you for free...dump the silicones, if you are using a multiplier.

ptr

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.